Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of birthday parties do you usually throw?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:14 PM
  • 51 Replies
My daughter turns 11 Friday. She's very excited. We have 2 huge bags of Hawaiian themed decorations and I want to throw a party at the park when it's nicer outside.

What kind of parties do you usually throw? Do you tell people not to bring gifts? Where do you usually have the party? Indoors or outdoors?
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:19 PM

We alternate between friend parties and family parties... Friend parties are usually held at our home or at our church with a theme. We keep it on the smaller side and we are very laid back so are our parties. But kids always seem to have a lot of fun and my kids love their birthday parties. Oh and we never say not to bring gifts or anything like that. 

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:58 PM
I don't. I just have family over, and we do small celebrations, with food and such. Can't do barbecues, as my kids were mostly born in the winter, but still, its fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:33 AM
Yeah I have 2 of my kids born in the winter and it's so hard to do parties. Our place isn't big enough and I don't want to spend $200 to have it indoors somewhere for only a small amount of people. I was thinking of waiting until next month to do my daughter's party. Or combine her and my son's party together. He wanted his at a park but it was February lol

Quoting celestegood: I don't. I just have family over, and we do small celebrations, with food and such. Can't do barbecues, as my kids were mostly born in the winter, but still, its fun!
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:34 AM
I like laid back! I wish we had a place like a church to hold a party. Our church is huge

Quoting Charizma77:

We alternate between friend parties and family parties... Friend parties are usually held at our home or at our church with a theme. We keep it on the smaller side and we are very laid back so are our parties. But kids always seem to have a lot of fun and my kids love their birthday parties. Oh and we never say not to bring gifts or anything like that. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:22 AM

My husbands the pastor of our church and its not huge but has a lot of land and a big gymnasium so it's a nice place for a kids party ;)

Quoting jconney80: I like laid back! I wish we had a place like a church to hold a party. Our church is huge
Quoting Charizma77:

Debmomto2girls
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:32 AM

My girls are 3 years apart and one was born end of Feb and one 2 week in March so they are close.  When they were younger, they each had a kids party - bowling, skating, gymanastics, bounce, etc. kind of places. And we have always done a shared family party.

Now they are teenagers....My oldest just had a huge Sweet 16 and my youngest just had a big party for her 13th.  Once they got to be older, they liked house parties with sleepovers.

momkaribg
by Kari on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:34 AM

We usually rent the fellowship hall at church for a 25.00 donation and have a mostly family party ( our family is huge )

MrsRobinson06
by Amy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:07 PM

We have regular birthday parties. Sometimes outdoors with a jumpy and pinata. Sometimes indoors at Chuck E Cheese or games inside my house. Pizza, cake, presents...all the usual. Send goody bags home at the end.

Looneyfarmmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I usually do the huge to do parties where I have a special cake made, themed parties, perfectly planned out games for the kids, and a pinata full of expensive candy... it was a lot of work that left me broke and tired. After a while I decided I rather save that money and buy my son an awesome gift. So I took him and his favorite cousin to a fun center for the day, dinner afterwards, and we went on a shopping spree the next day as his present (clothes, shoes, and one toy). So much better and he had a lot more fun. That and I didn't spend a week making Mexican food and making sure the place was prepped perfectly for the party.

On his 11th birthday we are saving up money for Universal Studio's Florida. He is going to Hogwarts and I am having someone make him an authentic looking acceptance letter. I am stoked!

aubsmom09
by Erin on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:25 PM

DD's birthday is Christmas Eve so we try to do something the Saturday before that date.  I like to have it on location somewhere. It is always inside too. The less work I have to do, the better.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)