Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too young for an email?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:43 PM
  • 43 Replies
Almost all of our family lives far away from us and they love to stay in touch with my DD8 but with time differences and crazy schedules phone calls are hard sometimes.

I'm thinking about creating an email address for her to use to communicate with them. I would obviously have full access to it and likely always be on it with her and monitor who was given the address. I think it would be a lot of fun for her. She's very mature and would be responsible with it.

What do you think? How old is appropriate to have an email address?
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:46 PM

I wouldn't, I would just have them do it on mine or by mail which is what I usually do

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:49 PM
I'd rather keep her stuff separate from mine.

Quoting othermom:

I wouldn't, I would just have them do it on mine or by mail which is what I usually do

chicken13
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this

We are a tech family thanks to dh....

dd has had her own email account since K.  dh set it up so that he got copies of everything she gets or sends.   

Of course, now she has a school account too.....but I'm not worried.  She's well trained by now.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this

If she is responsible and mature for her age, I would say to go for it!

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

my oldest had one well before he was that age to connect with his aunt who lives in WA state. We have an aol account and the age settings are great on there.

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Yahoo has a family account that  you can set up.

egyptian_mommy
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd do it as long as you think she's responsible enough.
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I've never thought about it.  My family all just moved to ND.  They write letters via snail mail and that's ok with me.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:32 PM
They do that, too but they also like the quicker updates. Instant gratification, ya know? Lol!

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

I've never thought about it.  My family all just moved to ND.  They write letters via snail mail and that's ok with me.

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Mar. 26, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Oh yeah I get it.  I forgot to include that it is so rural there is hardly and internet connection where my parents and sister are at.  That's the main reason why old fashoined it is!  They don't have mail delivery there at all either.  They have to use a post office box for their mail!

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny: They do that, too but they also like the quicker updates. Instant gratification, ya know? Lol!
Quoting angieluvsolivia:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)