Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gator

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:17 PM
  • 59 Replies

My store got alligator meat this week.  I paid $11 for a pound!  Anyway, I sure hope I don't ruin it.  I've only had a nibble of it once maybe 15yrs ago.  I can't remember what it tastes like.
Anyway, the cashier at the store told me to soak it in lemon or orange juice.  I thought you soaked things in milk to get that bad flavor out.  Anyone know?  I hear it's best fried, is that true?

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Whereismymind
by Amanda on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM
I didn't know people at alligator ... Lol! Hopefully someone can help!
taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Lol yeah people eat gator and you can find it in some restaurants too.  It's just not a common thing in my area that I know of anyway.

Quoting Whereismymind: I didn't know people at alligator ... Lol! Hopefully someone can help!

Momoftwinkies
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:56 PM
I have never made it, but it is great in gumbo.
Whereismymind
by Amanda on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Hmm interesting, I'm intrigued enough to see f anyone around here sells it, lol.

Quoting taKENheart:

Lol yeah people eat gator and you can find it in some restaurants too.  It's just not a common thing in my area that I know of anyway.

Quoting Whereismymind: I didn't know people at alligator ... Lol! Hopefully someone can help!

cassie41807
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:01 PM

We love alligator, wish we could get it for that price. You can soak it in buttermilk and bread it just like chicken and fry it, or use it in stews or soups.

taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Oh that's an idea for next time.  I love Gumbo!  Do you live some place that has restaurants that prepare gator?

Quoting Momoftwinkies: I have never made it, but it is great in gumbo.

taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I hope you can find some.  I know if we drive into the big city then we can find all sorts of exotic things at my favorite Asian market.  I don't know if they would have gator but they have many other things.

Quoting Whereismymind: Hmm interesting, I'm intrigued enough to see f anyone around here sells it, lol.
Quoting taKENheart:

Momoftwinkies
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Not that I know of.
We have a street festival every year in October and one of the food booth have it.

Quoting taKENheart:

Oh that's an idea for next time.  I love Gumbo!  Do you live some place that has restaurants that prepare gator?

Quoting Momoftwinkies: I have never made it, but it is great in gumbo.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Sounds icky I give you credit to try it

taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Well, it was purchased at out commissary and they tend to have some lower prices for things like meat.  I was thinking milk but that lady surprised me when she mentioned oj, lol.  We definitely are leaning towards frying it this first time.
Thanks ;)

Quoting cassie41807:

We love alligator, wish we could get it for that price. You can soak it in buttermilk and bread it just like chicken and fry it, or use it in stews or soups.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)