Group Home

Flying and kids ? OT PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM
  • 35 Replies

I might be flying to California this summer with my kiddos to visit my sister.  I have flown a few times with my kids, but the last time, they were 3 and 1 years old, so I could nurse my baby on ascent and descent and gave my 3 year old a sippy cup to drink on ascent and descent and it helped good.  I also tried Earplanes, but they didn't like them.

Now they are 8 and 5 and my 8 year old can chew gum, but neither one knows how to "pop" their ears.

Do you all have any suggestions on how I can help them learn this before/if we go?

I know now not to overpack as I did before LOL.  

Also, any travel toy suggestions for the flight?

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 27, 2014 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

coloring books.crayons,

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I just tell them to yawn really big.....When I flew last week I saw a kid with a tablet...He was also busy looking out the window...It was soo neat to hear him tell his dad..Look,look, the cars look soo small..I loved it...I personally have never flown with children.... 

othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I have never flown with my kids

sukainah
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Yes, that's a good idea.  I will try to teach them now so they get used to it.  I know they love seeing everything from the air, at least they did when they were younger. :-)

Quoting lil_mama06:

I just tell them to yawn really big.....When I flew last week I saw a kid with a tablet...He was also busy looking out the window...It was soo neat to hear him tell his dad..Look,look, the cars look soo small..I loved it...I personally have never flown with children.... 

chicken13
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Ring pops.  Works even for small kids (although I would keep it on my finger).  Awful for you...but the sucking action helps their ears pop and no child can resist them.

You can also dose them with Benadryl about 30 minutes before lift off for longer flights.  But ask your dr and do a test run at home.  Some children become hyper on Benadryl...instead of sedate and sleepy...and you definately don't want to figure that out right before your flight.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Ooo, the ring pops are a good idea!

Not sure about the benedryl though, but I'll ask their pediatrician about it.

Quoting chicken13:

Ring pops.  Works even for small kids (although I would keep it on my finger).  Awful for you...but the sucking action helps their ears pop and no child can resist them.

You can also dose them with Benadryl about 30 minutes before lift off for longer flights.  But ask your dr and do a test run at home.  Some children become hyper on Benadryl...instead of sedate and sleepy...and you definately don't want to figure that out right before your flight.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I always try to pack suckers and I also bring honey straws for them to suck on when taking off and landing. The landing is always worse for my DD.  DS doesn't seem bothered but DD always is.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Bring a computer and DVDs or an ipad or both depending on how long the flight is.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Gummies. Those are chewy enough that it will pop their ears almost every time.

As far as toys, honestly, flying is one of the few scenarios where I tend to be less restrictive about screen time. Do you have any devices that you can load a movie on for them to watch? And then I usually bring a few cars, a coloring book, and a card game like Uno. You don't want a hundred tiny toys to keep track of or anything that's too loud
That list got us through a 4 hr flight over our last vacation. Good luck!
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Mar. 27, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never flown with my kids but will this summer so, I'm looking for tips too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky