Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about testing blood sugar

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:57 AM
  • 8 Replies

Not sure if there are any diabetics in here or have family members who are on a fast acting insulin like my father is.  When he was in the nursing home, they tested his blood sugar before a feeding, because he was given Humalog.  His Dr. wants us to test 2 hours after meal but when I told this to the visiting nurse she said that this insulin has to be given right before he eats or immediately after.  I looked it up and the nurse's info was correct.  We are not sure who to follow, the Dr. or the visiting nurse. 

My dad ended up in the ER yesterday because his blood sugar was 24 which was way too low.  He wanted to see his numbers and got upset that we were following what the nurse told us and not what he wanted.  I did a lot of research on the drug and the manufacturer of the drug agreed with the visiting nurse.  What would you do?  Test him before and then 2 hours after, that is a lot of pricking to do. 

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:04 AM
I would be getting a second opinion. You must check before eating. Even if you test two ours after as well. Nothing bad about testing more but too little is obviously very very bad.
momofnatalie
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:19 AM

That's what I feel like too.  I guess we can do a 2 hour check in there, but I would hate to be poking my dad so much.  He already gets 4 checks a day before his meals.  The Dr. recommended just checking 3 times a day, 2 hours after a meal.  I guess he feels its ok to give the Humalog after 2 hours but the voice inside me says to follow the manufacturer's guideline.  I asked my sister to see if she can find another doctor at the hospital to give their opinion.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears: I would be getting a second opinion. You must check before eating. Even if you test two ours after as well. Nothing bad about testing more but too little is obviously very very bad.

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:11 AM

i have always tested before meals.  They told me if i forgot to test before a meal i then could test 2 hours later to see what my blood sugar would have been running. i would want to know what my blood sugar was before i took the shot so that i would know if i needed to adjust my dosage or give the dr a call in case it was low. it sounds like he is having trouble with it running low. 24 is way too low. i get shakey if mine is in the 70's. as a nurse i always checked my patients before a meal and adjusted the dosage accordingly. he may need to be on sliding scale insulin where you give a certain amount according to what his blood sugar is and then you would have to test it before meals. i would get a second opinion. i see an endocrinologist for mine and he has never recommended me to check it two hours after a meal.

momofnatalie
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:39 AM

Thank you so much.  His doctor is an internal medicine doctor and I think maybe I can request for him to see an endocronoligist.  He is on a sliding scale from the nursing home but his doctor feels that since he is on a PEG tube, he is eating the same thing, glucerna, he doesn't need to be checked before meals.  His blood sugar still fluctuates a lot so I think its best to test before. 

Quoting lyrick24:

i have always tested before meals.  They told me if i forgot to test before a meal i then could test 2 hours later to see what my blood sugar would have been running. i would want to know what my blood sugar was before i took the shot so that i would know if i needed to adjust my dosage or give the dr a call in case it was low. it sounds like he is having trouble with it running low. 24 is way too low. i get shakey if mine is in the 70's. as a nurse i always checked my patients before a meal and adjusted the dosage accordingly. he may need to be on sliding scale insulin where you give a certain amount according to what his blood sugar is and then you would have to test it before meals. i would get a second opinion. i see an endocrinologist for mine and he has never recommended me to check it two hours after a meal.

MamaJane
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:53 AM
My niece tests before and 2 hours after.
nngmommy83
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I always tested the man I cared for before his meal because if it was low he would take insulin

sukainah
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd get a second opinion.

momofnatalie
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Thank you, I think we are going to do that, its better to be safe than sorry. 

Quoting MamaJane: My niece tests before and 2 hours after.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)