Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Time Father Criticize for Taking Paternity Leave

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:23 PM
  • 79 Replies

EW YORK (AP) — Daniel Murphy is proud he put fatherhood ahead of baseball, and New York Mets manager Terry Collins thinks criticism his second baseman received for taking paternity leave this week was unfair.

Murphy made his season debut Thursday, three days after the birth of son Noah. He called staying in Florida an extra day "the right decision to make" following wife Victoria's cesarean section and said "we felt the best thing for our family was for me to stay."

He learned Sunday that his wife's water broke, then traveled to Florida and missed Monday's 9-7 opening loss to Washington and Wednesday night's 5-1 defeat. He said his son was born at 12:02 p.m. Monday.

ESIASON: Rips Mets 2B for taking paternity leave

Major league rules allow up to three days of paternity leave, and WFAN broadcaster Mike Francesa said on the air Wednesday that Murphy should not have skipped the second game.

"One day I understand. And in the old days they didn't do that," Francesa said. "But one day, go see the baby be born and come back. You're a Major League Baseball player. You can hire a nurse to take care of the baby if your wife needs help."

I personally applaud him for taking the time to be with his family.  Did the father of your children take time off after your children were born?

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Juniper53098
by June on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

He absolutely did the right thing.  The priorities should be GOD 1st, FAMILY 2nd, and job THIRD.

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM
I think if its fine with his boss, its none of our business, even as fans. If his job were threatened, I could understand people getting their knickers in a twist (if he is unemployed, how will he care for his family).
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I think he did the right thing. My husband is a pastor and he was always able to take some time off because he has a lot of support at our church and our families don't live all that close... I applaud dads who are able to take time off and willing too but also understand that it's not the norm and it doesn't make one a bad husband or father if they are not able to take time off... 

SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I applaud him.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

He did the right thing for sure!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Absolutely!

Quoting Juniper53098:

He absolutely did the right thing.  The priorities should be GOD 1st, FAMILY 2nd, and job THIRD.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Yes my dh did with everyone of ours

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I agree, if its company policy that they can take paternity leave than people should not criticize.  We should be supportive of fathers who want to be there for their families and not bash him because he is a sports figure. 

Quoting quickbooksworm: I think if its fine with his boss, its none of our business, even as fans. If his job were threatened, I could understand people getting their knickers in a twist (if he is unemployed, how will he care for his family).

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM

I agree, I think if a father is able to take the time off to be there for his family, other men should not be putting him down for putting his family first. 

Quoting Charizma77:

I think he did the right thing. My husband is a pastor and he was always able to take some time off because he has a lot of support at our church and our families don't live all that close... I applaud dads who are able to take time off and willing too but also understand that it's not the norm and it doesn't make one a bad husband or father if they are not able to take time off... 

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Mine too, it was so nice to have the extra help.  I saw the interview of this player on TV and he said his wife was so exhausted and recovering from birth, he knew it was the right thing to do.  I hope he inspires other men to be there for their wives or partners.

Quoting momofsixangels:

Yes my dh did with everyone of ours

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN