Group Home

1 in custody after Pennsylvania school stabbings

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:08 AM
  • 19 Replies

MURRYSVILLE, Pa. (AP) — Several people were stabbed Wednesday morning at a high school near Pittsburgh, and a suspect was taken into custody, an emergency official said.

Dan Stevens, the spokesman for Westmoreland County emergency management, said five or six people were reported stabbed at about 7:20 a.m. at Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville, about 15 miles east of Pittsburgh.

It wasn't immediately clear if the suspect and the victims are students, adults or a mix of both. It doesn't appear that any of the victims suffered life-threatening injuries, Stevens said, though several helicopters were seen flying people from the scene to area hospitals.

School officials and Murrysville police didn't immediately return calls seeking further details, but the school issued a bulletin on its website saying: "A critical incident has occurred at the high school. All elementary schools are canceled, the middle school and high school students are secure."

The district serves about 3,600 students who live in the bedroom communities of Murrysville, Export and Delmont. The elementary and middle schools are part of the same campus.

The high school was on lockdown, and students were being kept there as a precaution as school and law enforcement officials double-checked the premises. School officials were making arrangements to bus the middle school students home.

District Attorney John Peck said he was monitoring the situation. Detectives from his office were also investigating, though Peck said he had no information beyond that being reported by Pittsburgh television news stations.

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Glad they have a suspect... Such senseless acts of hatred.

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I don't get violence in this manner.

lasombrs
by Sara on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:22 AM
I saw that so sad :(
Angela4boys
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:29 AM
I just saw this! Kids are subjected to so much violence in schools now :(
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM

My kids have had kids bring guns to their schools.Its so scary.Kids cant feel safe anywhere

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM
So sad :-( so much violence in schools now. So scary
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I just read this. I am in PA (a few hours from there) and everyone on facebook is posting this article. Just so sad for everyone involved.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:39 AM

It is very scary. I worry everyday about when my kids go to middle school/highschool. I know there is violence in elementary too but it seems to be more in the higher grades. It is very hard to think that we have to be scared to send out kids to school, a place where they are suppose to be safe.

Quoting OBImomma: So sad :-( so much violence in schools now. So scary

Juniper53098
by June on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:09 AM

scary

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Apr. 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Glad they caught whoever did this...Just awful...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690