Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 Plants You Can Start From Kitchen Scraps

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.hgtvgardens.com/vegetables/7-plants-you-can-start-from-kitchen-scraps?nl=HGG_040814_featlink1&sni_mid=127669&sni_rid=127669.10001.8147&c32=7116b0faea5900c374b488c1338b90ee

Instead of throwing kitchen scraps into the compost bin, re-grow them! Many of us have had the experience of reaching into a bag of onions to find new growth as fresh green shoots have sprouted within. Plants love to grow and it’s easy to simply cut away the new sprouts and get on with dinner, but for the intrepid gardener, the new growth possible from vegetable scraps or an unexpected surplus of produce is an opportunity to get a jump on propagating new crops. Before relegating kitchen scraps to the compost pile, consider these anxious growers and repopulate a bountiful garden using parts of the vegetable usually left behind.

Have you ever tried this?

by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
Barabell
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never done this before. This was pretty cool to know. Thanks!

melliburger
by Melli on Apr. 13, 2014 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Cool!!

powow65
by kimmy on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:24 AM
Yes with cellary. NOTHIBG HAPPENED!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by kimmy on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:26 AM
I knew about the onion & potatoes but garlic & ginger?! No sh**!
Cool!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
TFS?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Apr. 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I started flowers before inside

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
We've tried celery and romaine with no luck. Maybe this summer we'll try planting them after they sprout.
my4kidsrock2
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:01 AM
I'm not sure how accurate this info is but I've heard that apple seeds from your own apples will sprout and grow into trees but they will never give apples and if they do give apples they won't be very good ones. We have an abandoned fruit farm directly behind our house that has tons of apple's trees so I've never tried planting my own to find out though. I hope it's wrong. Good luck.

Quoting deccaf: I recently sprouted an orange seed and now an apple!

Quoting Vertical15:

I"ve never tried any of that.  My kids would love to.  I should just let them try!

Quoting deccaf: I put potatoes in the ground last year. Whole potatoes. They had sprouted eyes. I figured if I get a plant, great. If not, it was organic matter. This year, I have 3 plants going. I also have garlic I did this with. You can also save tomato seeds, dry them and plant them. Pretty much any seed you would toss can be planted.

deccaf
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:16 AM
These were from an organic farm, so I hope I get some. If not, it's still cool and Steph thinks it is awesome.

Quoting my4kidsrock2: I'm not sure how accurate this info is but I've heard that apple seeds from your own apples will sprout and grow into trees but they will never give apples and if they do give apples they won't be very good ones. We have an abandoned fruit farm directly behind our house that has tons of apple's trees so I've never tried planting my own to find out though. I hope it's wrong. Good luck.

Quoting deccaf: I recently sprouted an orange seed and now an apple!

Quoting Vertical15:

I"ve never tried any of that.  My kids would love to.  I should just let them try!

Quoting deccaf: I put potatoes in the ground last year. Whole potatoes. They had sprouted eyes. I figured if I get a plant, great. If not, it was organic matter. This year, I have 3 plants going. I also have garlic I did this with. You can also save tomato seeds, dry them and plant them. Pretty much any seed you would toss can be planted.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

TFS. These are all very interesting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN