Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 Plants You Can Start From Kitchen Scraps

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.hgtvgardens.com/vegetables/7-plants-you-can-start-from-kitchen-scraps?nl=HGG_040814_featlink1&sni_mid=127669&sni_rid=127669.10001.8147&c32=7116b0faea5900c374b488c1338b90ee

Instead of throwing kitchen scraps into the compost bin, re-grow them! Many of us have had the experience of reaching into a bag of onions to find new growth as fresh green shoots have sprouted within. Plants love to grow and it’s easy to simply cut away the new sprouts and get on with dinner, but for the intrepid gardener, the new growth possible from vegetable scraps or an unexpected surplus of produce is an opportunity to get a jump on propagating new crops. Before relegating kitchen scraps to the compost pile, consider these anxious growers and repopulate a bountiful garden using parts of the vegetable usually left behind.

Have you ever tried this?

by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

No, but my mil had an avocado plant she grew from the pit.

nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

TFS! unfortunately I can't grow anything!

sunshinepraying
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had potatoes sprout, but didn't know you could do that with them

Quoting Vertical15:

Potatoes

A favorite grade-school project, the eyes of potatoes readily sprout new growth (sometimes even in the pantry). Cut potatoes into pieces and nurture the sprouts in water. Once new sprouts are established, plant in damp soil to grow your own potatoes.

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Good to know.

aubsmom09
by Erin on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

TFS, I knew about most of these, but haven't ever tried them myself.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

We cut the bottoms off celery stocks and are going to plant them in dirt soon.  They are actually sprouting now!  Cool!

Mznaye
by Jo on Apr. 13, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
This is cool
slw123
by Shawna on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Apparently corn can sprout. Seriously I would never have expected corn to sprout, but I've seen it with my own eyes. We used to raise hogs. We fed them table scraps as well as their feed. They were in these big wooden pens, up off the ground, with wood floors. We had to go out several times a day to spray out their pens (and spray the hogs because they loved it). A big corn stalk grew at the end of one pigs pen where all the "manure" fell where we sprayed it.

It either came from leftovers or from their feed, because their feed was ground corn meal.
Vertical15
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM

I've heard so many people say it works.

Quoting powow65: Yes with cellary. NOTHIBG HAPPENED!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN