Group Home

7 Plants You Can Start From Kitchen Scraps

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.hgtvgardens.com/vegetables/7-plants-you-can-start-from-kitchen-scraps?nl=HGG_040814_featlink1&sni_mid=127669&sni_rid=127669.10001.8147&c32=7116b0faea5900c374b488c1338b90ee

Instead of throwing kitchen scraps into the compost bin, re-grow them! Many of us have had the experience of reaching into a bag of onions to find new growth as fresh green shoots have sprouted within. Plants love to grow and it’s easy to simply cut away the new sprouts and get on with dinner, but for the intrepid gardener, the new growth possible from vegetable scraps or an unexpected surplus of produce is an opportunity to get a jump on propagating new crops. Before relegating kitchen scraps to the compost pile, consider these anxious growers and repopulate a bountiful garden using parts of the vegetable usually left behind.

Have you ever tried this?

by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Replies (41-50):
Vertical15
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I have the same problem!

Quoting nngmommy83:

TFS! unfortunately I can't grow anything!

Vertical15
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Thats pretty cool!

Quoting slw123: Apparently corn can sprout. Seriously I would never have expected corn to sprout, but I've seen it with my own eyes. We used to raise hogs. We fed them table scraps as well as their feed. They were in these big wooden pens, up off the ground, with wood floors. We had to go out several times a day to spray out their pens (and spray the hogs because they loved it). A big corn stalk grew at the end of one pigs pen where all the "manure" fell where we sprayed it. It either came from leftovers or from their feed, because their feed was ground corn meal.

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so awesome, thank you!

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:51 PM

From my understanding it takes a few years to get good apples, like the first years they aren't so good then after that better 

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/long-apple-trees-mature-produce-fruit-56479.html

Quoting deccaf: These were from an organic farm, so I hope I get some. If not, it's still cool and Steph thinks it is awesome.
Quoting my4kidsrock2: I'm not sure how accurate this info is but I've heard that apple seeds from your own apples will sprout and grow into trees but they will never give apples and if they do give apples they won't be very good ones. We have an abandoned fruit farm directly behind our house that has tons of apple's trees so I've never tried planting my own to find out though. I hope it's wrong. Good luck.
Quoting deccaf: I recently sprouted an orange seed and now an apple!
Quoting Vertical15:

I"ve never tried any of that.  My kids would love to.  I should just let them try!

Quoting deccaf: I put potatoes in the ground last year. Whole potatoes. They had sprouted eyes. I figured if I get a plant, great. If not, it was organic matter. This year, I have 3 plants going. I also have garlic I did this with. You can also save tomato seeds, dry them and plant them. Pretty much any seed you would toss can be planted.

Ladyisis
by Jenn on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

No I have never tried this! Thanks for sharing.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Would love to try this..

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

TFS

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:58 PM

no but I'm going to with garlic.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I have grown potatoes from the sprouts on my potatoes.

Vertical15
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:01 PM

You should document with photos and share the results!

Quoting Apr1l:

no but I'm going to with garlic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys