Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hot mess Monday

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:57 AM
  • 29 Replies

Okay let's back it up-Saturday DH/ss7/DD10 and I came home to find a trench (for lack of a better word) in our front yard.....and half our driveway missing.

The town's installing sidewalks....thanks for the heads up.

This morning at 6:30am they showed up with their backhoes/trucks etc to finish taking out my driveway and the rest of the block....it wasn't fun trying to maneuver Princess's wheelchair through it all-but we managed-she went off to school with very little issues.

The few workers that were outside, I tried to get answers, as to when they would be done our section (we're the 2nd house in from the corner) because of my daughter's handicaps....nobody could give a straight answer.

Okay-fine.

Call City Hall-I explained calmly that I had a physically handicapped child with limited mobility-and no access to the street!! The lady assured me she'd send somebody over.

***Now where I live is out in the boonies.....we live on country time-it'll happen when it's happens-there is no quick service unless its police/fire/ambulance***

Within 20min a gentleman showed up at my door with 3 other guys who were workers. He asked about my concerns-and I explained the situation....luckily he understood-and asked for a time line when Princess would be home....he is having a ramp brought in (he said it was be a metal ramp not wooden slats) for her so she can get by on her wheelchair. He said that no matter what-they'd get her over that trench....even if that meant carrying her.....good luck with that dude-she's 10....5ft1 140lbs. If you think you can carry her-best of luck to you.

I'm just really grateful for their help...I'm still a bit disappointed that we were given no notice of this whatsoever.

Saturday the crews just showed up and started tearing up ppl's yards. We live in a duplex....the gentleman on the other side is elderly....he can't leave the house because there's no way for him to get out!! Several neighbors have the same problem...and we can't exactly park in the street-because they have trucks/back hoes and everything in the street.

Some cars are stuck in the driveway....a few are parked at the local supermarket 2 blocks over and are just walking home...Quite honestly i do not see a reason for sidewalks-very few walk in this area-most of the students are bused....and even where there are sidewalks-ppl walk near the curb.

I brought this up to the Mayor's office (lack of notice) and told them next time-just give a heads up so people can be more prepared.

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dommad2
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM
It's really crappy that they would do that with no notice! Hugs!
othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM

That is really messed up that they did that. They really need to give some warning and give time for people to move their cars. That is good atleast that they are bringing a ramp for your daughter

Tigress22304
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Quoting dommad2: It's really crappy that they would do that with no notice! Hugs!

I know! And we have mostly senior citizens living on this street!!

A lady from 3 blocks down said her neighbor nearly fell trying to get over the ramp they put up for her while using her walker!!

I told the lady at City Hall-please give some kind of notice!! they notified us when they clean the streets/plow/tree removal....they should notify us when they're gonna rip up our yard and take away our access!!

dommad2
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Ugh that really sucks. I hope your day starts getting better!

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting dommad2: It's really crappy that they would do that with no notice! Hugs!

A lady from 3 blocks down said her neighbor nearly fell trying to get over the ramp they put up for her while using her walker!!

I told the lady at City Hall-please give some kind of notice!! they notified us when they clean the streets/plow/tree removal....they should notify us when they're gonna rip up our yard and take away our access!!

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM
That's crazy! At least they are putting a ramp up for your dd. The guys that work around here don't care about anything but wtheir work.

My neighbor just had new siding on her house and the workers had nails and trash in y driveway. They were using my fence to hold tools and supplies. They blared their radio all the time..ugh! Sorry. Didn't realize I was going to write this long rant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tigress22304
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Quoting othermom:

That is really messed up that they did that. They really need to give some warning and give time for people to move their cars. That is good atleast that they are bringing a ramp for your daughter

its just our side they are doing-saturday we couldnt pull into our driveway (huge pile of dirt) so we parked in the street-one of the workers said "it'll just be another day or so" so we kept the car parked in the street....and notified the guy on the other side of us....but those of us who did get their cars out-we're helping those who cant.

And I'm glad too-otherwise they would see my inner evil mother and nobody wants to see that

Tigress22304
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Quoting dommad2: Ugh that really sucks. I hope your day starts getting better!
Quoting Tigress22304:

not even close

the screen door just slammed against the porch railing and cracked-now my door wont shut-landlord's out on a plumbing job-he wont be here before 5 tonight ughhhh

dropped a frozen hot pocket on the same toe i stubbed this morning

and I'm out of coffee.

I'm about ready to give up and go back to bed

Tigress22304
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Quoting OBImomma: That's crazy! At least they are putting a ramp up for your dd. The guys that work around here don't care about anything but wtheir work. My neighbor just had new siding on her house and the workers had nails and trash in y driveway. They were using my fence to hold tools and supplies. They blared their radio all the time..ugh! Sorry. Didn't realize I was going to write this long rant.

omg that's horrible!!!!!

around here-if they do siding-they bring dumpsters-they clean AS THEY GO.....the music wouldn't bother me....but out of respect-they are reasonable about their music (And I mean in general-nobody blasts their radio around here)

see the fence thing wouldn't bother me as long as they cleaned it up before they left and it wasn't a danger to the children

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:17 AM

This is why they need to issue a warning. I am glad they are accomodating your daughter now but this could trap her in her yard and that is unacceptable. If this happened in my town I would be going to the women's council and they would throw a bloody fit and the work would be done asap. It happens every time they do work in areas that are considered a large risk like a house with a wheelchair bound person or an elderly housing community. I am glad we have these ladies with nothing better to do then force the town to stay on track and get the job done quickly and properly. Plus they ensure the town doesn't pull crap like this. I wonder if your area has a group like this. I know most towns here in Western MA do and they get crap done when they are given a task.

dommad2
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM
I think maybe you should!

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting dommad2: Ugh that really sucks. I hope your day starts getting better!

Quoting Tigress22304:

not even close

the screen door just slammed against the porch railing and cracked-now my door wont shut-landlord's out on a plumbing job-he wont be here before 5 tonight ughhhh

dropped a frozen hot pocket on the same toe i stubbed this morning

and I'm out of coffee.

I'm about ready to give up and go back to bed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN