Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for house owners?! (additional rooms to a house topic.)

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM
  • 49 Replies
Ok so dad & I are BIG BIG BIG talk (so big talk, he wants me to contact my friends mom (whose a real estate agent) on Monday!)
But the house is technical a "1 bedroom".
If we can extend the enclosed porch by 6x10 feet make the enclosed porch into the living room instead.

(but if we don't put any electrical in it, just make the enclosed porch a bit bigger to make that into the living room.) would that be "ok"? I looked up anything on "rules or codes" on making a additional with no adding any electrical but nothing comes up?! So does that mean "it's ok"?!

Ok if we make the enclosed porch into the living room, we'll make the living room in the house the 2nd bedroom by putting up 2 walls & 1 of the walls will have the door to go in or out of the bedroom.

(ps, YES I KNOW I TYPE & SOME TIMES TALK LIKE "yoda" all backwards.)
But please help! I'm in Syracuse, NY.

Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dommad2
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:15 AM
What about heat? It sound like you're talking g about a 3 season room which you would totally lose in the winter.
slw123
by Shawna on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:16 AM
There has to be an electrical outlet on each wall. You will have to get it wired.
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Quoting slw123: There has to be an electrical outlet on each wall. You will have to get it wired.

This.

dommad2
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:25 AM
To legally be counted as living space yes but not to be used as living space. There is no code that says you have to have a living room.

Quoting slw123: There has to be an electrical outlet on each wall. You will have to get it wired.
powow65
by kimmy on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:36 AM
My dad has helped a few old "friends" with "additions" & they didn't want/need wires/electrical, just another room.
(wait?! So a house could have 2 bedrooms & no living room?!)
Really?!
Hm!

Quoting dommad2: To legally be counted as living space yes but not to be used as living space. There is no code that says you have to have a living room.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by kimmy on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:37 AM
I guess the kitchen could be kinda the living room (put the tv & chair in there.) heh. I'll have to see the layout.

Quoting dommad2: To legally be counted as living space yes but not to be used as living space. There is no code that says you have to have a living room.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dommad2
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Legally yes a living room is not needed.

In my original response I asked what your plan was to heat the room?

Quoting powow65: My dad has helped a few old "friends" with "additions" & they didn't want/need wires/electrical, just another room.
Really?!
Hm!

powow65
by kimmy on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Can you insulte the room than have maybe a space heater on (only when people are in the room.)

Quoting dommad2: Legally yes a living room is not needed.

Quoting powow65: My dad has helped a few old "friends" with "additions" & they didn't want/need wires/electrical, just another room.
Really?!
Hm!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dommad2
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:40 AM
What type of floor does it have? What type of windows.

Quoting powow65: Can you insulte the room than have maybe a space heater on (only when people are in the room.)

Quoting dommad2: Legally yes a living room is not needed.

Really?!
Hm!

LifeCafe42
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Building code is different everywhere but I would think it would need it and you would want it. When you buy a home a price can be great but if there is a ton that needs to be done it may not be worth it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN