Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Screen time limits

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM
  • 62 Replies

Do you have screen time limits for your kids?

If so what is the time limit and their age please...

Just curious! I need to lay the law down here and wondering what limits others have put in place.

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:19 AM

My kids are 5 & 7 and we do not put limits yet. They don't really spend to much time on tv/video games. They would much rather be playing.

deedee3849
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Quoting charlene_kyle:

My kids are 5 & 7 and we do not put limits yet. They don't really spend to much time on tv/video games. They would much rather be playing.

I was in that boat as well but now my boys are 6 and 9 and I am seeing a shift from wanting to play outdoors to wanting more time on the tablet and Xbox and I do NOT like it at all!!! Tv is not an issue it's tablet and Xbox for us. I was thinking of 1 hour weeknight and 2 hours weekends. 

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I think that sounds reasonable. I am not sure what we will do when the time come's (as I am sure it will come soon), I am just thankful that so far they still prefer to be outside lol.

Quoting deedee3849:

Quoting charlene_kyle:

I was in that boat as well but now my boys are 6 and 9 and I am seeing a shift from wanting to play outdoors to wanting more time on the tablet and Xbox and I do NOT like it at all!!! Tv is not an issue it's tablet and Xbox for us. I was thinking of 1 hour weeknight and 2 hours weekends. 

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Never had to set limits. They were active kids.
lilblu399
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:37 AM

2 hours a day Monday-Saturday and unlimited on Sunday. Weekdays not until homework is done and not before 4pm. Saturday no screen tme until after 1pm. Since dad s off on Sunday they can play the game or watch TV with him. My kids are 3 and 6.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Some what. My rules are if they get their chores done the day before they earn tv and 30 minutes of game time. They can usually watch a few show during the day. If they older kids have school it is maybe an hour of tv. To earm another 30 minutes of game time the older two have to read for 30 minutes and my youngest has to work on either practicing her letters or her hooked on phonics.   We do leave the tv on most of the time in our house as back ground noise. The kids play in their rooms often though, they play outside, we go for walks and to the park, play board games, ect too

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I am having a big problem with how much my youngest son watches tv!! I do put it on for him a little during the day, but DF and MIL kind of want to let him watch it a lot! Too much, I think. I think he should play a lot more than watching tv. Then it's like I'm terrible if I don't allow him to...he's only 3. I think a few of his shows throughout the day is good enough. 

conweis
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM

They are allowed on after they finish their chores and homework. If it is nice outside I tell them to go outside.
I don't really have a limit.
They are 10, 8, 6 and 16 months. 

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:03 AM

My kids are a bit older...ages 10 and 8.

We do no screen time during the week unless homework, rooms are clean, and music has been practice. 

Weekends are unlimited but can't have screens upstairs when its bed time. 

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM

I don't have limits on the girls...When I feel they've had enough, I just tell them to find something else to do..And if they can't find something to do, I say I'll help them....They always find something to do...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN