Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I work retail and I want to say....

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM
  • 143 Replies
20 moms liked this

When a store posts its hours on the front door, there is no excuse for a customer to waltz in three minutes before closing time and expect to shop the entire store. Even if no hours are posted, one can assume that the doors will be closing at 9 p.m. This is standard for retail stores. (Holidays and weekends may vary.)

Almost every night people stroll in three to five minutes before closing time. We will approach them and ask, "Is there anything I can help you find?" Invariably they say, "No, thanks. I'm just looking." (On rare occasions, a considerate customer will say, "Oh, thank you, I'll come back tomorrow.") Thirty minutes after we have locked the doors and are waiting to close the registers, these "lookie-loos" stroll out, without so much as a thank-you or apology.

How I wish I could say, "You may have nothing to do and nowhere to go, but most of us clerks have families waiting for us at home, sometimes a hot dinner cooling on the table, or a child waiting for a goodnight kiss. We're tired and want to get out of the store. Please give us a break." 

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM
6 moms liked this
Where i worked we'd make announcements starting 30 minutes before closing and continuing until everyone left. The only reason anyone would be in the store more than 5 minutes after closing is because they are checking out.

I've never had a customer in 30 minutes after closing. I do get Canadians that come in and buy half the store at close though.
powow65
by kimmy on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Omg yes!
(hugs!) sorry to hear that hun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:22 PM
3 moms liked this

store announcements?? i used to work at target and we did 15, 10, 5, and closing

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:22 PM
2 moms liked this

that is so rude....i would never do that and thankfully have never had the need to do that either...

the only thing i can think that would make me even attempt a store near closing is if i ran out of meds and my kid was sick but i always stock up on OTC meds and never ran out  when needed

la-cosa-nostra
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM
3 moms liked this

I remember that when I worked retail. It's so rude. I only run in that late if I plan on buying one thing, I desperately can't wait until morning and I know exactly where it is. 

aubsmom09
by Erin on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, that is really rude. 

psych_mom
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM
I have mainly done retail in small mall stores in the past. People would leave early because they didn't want to get stuck far away from their cars.
ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

See, this is something I would never do! I'm very respectful of hours posted. As a stylist we had many clients who would walk in minutes before closing. I always thought it was so rude....it's not like you can walk in and just grab a quick haircut or blow-out....know what I mean?

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I worked at kmart and zayres and we did announcements

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM

i know how you feel.  i work in a law firm where our doors close at 5 just like the courthouse and just like every other attorney in town.  its so obnoxious when someone strolls in at 5 hoping to speak to an attorney.  No attorneys are never here for one which is why we don't take walk-ins and 2 what attorney stays till 5?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN