Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I work retail and I want to say....

When a store posts its hours on the front door, there is no excuse for a customer to waltz in three minutes before closing time and expect to shop the entire store. Even if no hours are posted, one can assume that the doors will be closing at 9 p.m. This is standard for retail stores. (Holidays and weekends may vary.)

Almost every night people stroll in three to five minutes before closing time. We will approach them and ask, "Is there anything I can help you find?" Invariably they say, "No, thanks. I'm just looking." (On rare occasions, a considerate customer will say, "Oh, thank you, I'll come back tomorrow.") Thirty minutes after we have locked the doors and are waiting to close the registers, these "lookie-loos" stroll out, without so much as a thank-you or apology.

How I wish I could say, "You may have nothing to do and nowhere to go, but most of us clerks have families waiting for us at home, sometimes a hot dinner cooling on the table, or a child waiting for a goodnight kiss. We're tired and want to get out of the store. Please give us a break." 

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Replies (141-143):
WifeyMommy2011
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM
The only time I ever walk in that close to closing is I want something and know what it is! Like I walked in a couple minutes to closing for journeys and went straight to the shoes I wanted, asked to try them on quick and I asked if I could buy them (they were by the register and looked like they were counting the money.) and I left after I bought them and apologized and thanked them! Lol
shaay_5
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:41 PM

i have worked retail and usually when i run in a store just before they are about to close i want 1 things and i know where its at in the store but i hate when they keep making announcements every 5 minutes 

jesusismyfriend
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM

We have this one lady that comes in weekly at 5 minutes until closing into our student run restaurant. She always gets a to go salad bar.  We have to wait until 1:45-1:50 for her to leave.  We closer at 1:30. We also get the ones that like to come in and get a full course meal at closing and then complain because there is no dessert. :( 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN