Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sneaking snacks into the movie theater

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:33 AM
  • 102 Replies

There's a sign on our theater door that says no outside food or drink.

Do you take food and drinks in anyway?

Do you think it's being smart or cheap? Is it teaching your children to break the rules?

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:41 AM

I think it's teaching kids to break the rules. The theatre depends on the money from the concession . If everyone brought in snacks they would have to raise the price of the movies to break even, so you're actually making the people who buy snacks there subsidize your tickets. 

mom2jessnky
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:58 AM

It's a really scummy thing to do. The theater gets next to nothing from ticket sales so they rely on concessions to keep that theater clean and running, to pay employees, etc.

It's teaching your kids that rules don't apply to them and it's showing them that it's okay to rip people off as long as it's a business.

Sneaking them in is like cooking a meal at home and taking it to a restaurant with you, mucking up the restaurant, wasting the employees' time, and taking a table away from a real customer just so you (in general not you OP) can be a jerk.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM
We usually just don't buy anything at the con session stand because it's so overpriced (on the rare occasion that we go to the theater).
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I think it's being dishonest and yes, teaching your children to break the rules.  On one hand, I understand that theater prices can be totally ridiculous,  but on the other, it is possible to just not get concessions if you really cannot afford it.

mamadee1971
by Dionne on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM

When I worked at the movie theatre, in the early 90's, I would find all kinds of "outside" food, including liquor bottles, in the theatre.  I still buy concession stand food, but I have one of those refillable popcorn tubs and soda cup.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I have a bottle of water in my purse that I bring with me, but i bring it every where. We buy soda and snacks

flprincessmom
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM
On the rare occasion we go to the movies we just bring in a water bottle. We usually do dinner & a movie, so by the time we are @ the theater we are not hungry anyway. The price of the dinner is the same as the damn prices of the junk @ the concession stands anyway. Rather eat a good meal than that fat & salt laden food...uck...
LaughCryLive
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I do. It's smart. I'm not going to let them rob me.
nebcutie
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:47 AM
We usually bring a drink because we don't drink what they carry but buy snacks. If we don't plan on getting snacks we don't bring any drinks.
psych_mom
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM

We usually buy popcorn from them if we ever actually go to a movie. I can't remember the last time DH and I went to the movie theater.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)