Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why not a tattoo booth?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM
  • 231 Replies
1 mom liked this

my son's in 1st grade.  in a few weeks the entire 1st grade is having "market day".  apparently they've been earning play money all year for various things & on market day they get to spend that money.  it's a way to teach them not only about responsible money handeling but commerce, being consumers, etc.  each child has the opportunity to set up a booth selling items or services.  they have to make a sign for thier booth, determine the price of their items for sale or service. 

the teachers sent home an info sheet on friday about it with some suggestions.  no food or "dangerous toys" allowed but outside of those two no-no's pretty much anything was fair game, or so the sheet said.  they can sell homemade things like the loom bracelets, recyled can pencil holders, duct tape bows. etc.  they can do a game booth letting kids play quick easy games like tic tac toe, connect four & such.  they can do a raffle or estimation jar.  an art booth letting kids make their own paintings/drawings or the student can sell their own artwork.

well my son really wants to do a temporary tattoo booth but his teacher isn't sure that is going to be ok.  tattoos aren't ok but one of the suggestions on the info sheet sent home was for a spa booth offering shoulder/head massages.  so that's ok but not temporary tattoos?  okay!!!!

do you see anything wrong with a temporary tattoo booth? i mean the tattoos would be things like dinos, flowers, sports themed, bugs.  i'd stay clear of pirate skulls & swords or the like so as to not upset parents who don't like such for their kids.

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Christa on Apr. 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM
9 moms liked this
How strange. I see no problem with temp tattoos a lot of kids love those!
Whereismymind
by Amanda on Apr. 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
This, my kids love them :)

Quoting proudmommy690: How strange. I see no problem with temp tattoos a lot of kids love those!
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM

i know!  i've probably seen most of the 1st grade with at least one this year.  i know i've seen a few that have had multiple ones all over their arms on more than one occasion.

Quoting proudmommy690: How strange. I see no problem with temp tattoos a lot of kids love those!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

as does my son which is why he thought of doing a tattoo booth.  i thought it was good that he thought outside of the ideas the teachers suggested.  much better than having 1st graders give each other massages.

Quoting Whereismymind: This, my kids love them :)

Pink.Frosting
I know I sound like a scrooge, but I'm so ready for Christmas to be over this year. Our poor tree is haggard looking from being attacked by cats. I just want it *down* and to have my living room back to *normal.* Bah Humbug...
Yesterday at 12:35 PM
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM
4 moms liked this

I think a lot of parents strongly dislike those temporary tattoos and would probably be upset if their child came home with one on.  So the teacher is probably thinking about the issues it could cause with many of the parents.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM

well i don't know any parent that doesn't like them or has strong negative feelings about them.  i;ve see many of the kids in 1st grade with temporary tattoos throughout the year.  so not sure if that's a reason or not.  oh i work at the school & i see these kids multiple times a day all school year so it's not like i've volunteered in his class & saw a kid or two the few times i was there with them on.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

I think a lot of parents strongly dislike those temporary tattoos and would probably be upset if their child came home with one on.  So the teacher is probably thinking about the issues it could cause with many of the parents.

deccaf
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Kids love them.  I think it would be pretty cool.  But heaven forbid the school get a call from one of the uptight parents that can't handle a temporary bit of fun.

mom2jessnky
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. In fact when my oldest was in first grade (and at a school in the area where you live!) we did a tattoo booth at several things, in class parties and at the end of year field day. I remember because I was put in charge of it. I think it's a cute idea.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 6:13 PM

on field day they do face painting.  to me that's not much different.  in fact it can be a bit worse.  like me my son has sensitive skin & he can't get anything like that done because the paints irritate his skin, but the tattoos don't so....

did i know you used to live in my neck of the woods?  can't recall. 

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. In fact when my oldest was in first grade (and at a school in the area where you live!) we did a tattoo booth at several things, in class parties and at the end of year field day. I remember because I was put in charge of it. I think it's a cute idea.

mom2jessnky
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Maybe? I don't know it's one of those random tidbits that I remembered.

Quoting lizzig:

on field day they do face painting.  to me that's not much different.  in fact it can be a bit worse.  like me my son has sensitive skin & he can't get anything like that done because the paints irritate his skin, but the tattoos don't so....

did i know you used to live in my neck of the woods?  can't recall. 

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN