Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

because it's not ok for boys!

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM
  • 220 Replies
6 moms liked this

i took my son to get his hair cut today.  sitting in the waiting area with me there was a father with two little girls about 3 who were waiting on big brother who was getting his hair cut.  one of the little girls asked her father why they were there & this is, in a nut shell, how the conversation went;

little girl: why do we have to be here?

father: to get your brother's hair cut.

little girl: why does he need his hair cut?

father: because it's getting long.

little girl: but why does he need it cut?

father: because it's getting long & it's not ok to have long hair.

little girl: am i getting my hair cut?

father: no

little girl: but i have long hair?

father: but you're not a boy.  it's not ok for boys to have long hair.

uhm, okay!  i know not everyone likes long hair on men & not all men look good with long hair but to tell your child it's not ok for boys to have long hair i'm sorry, but that's just not right!!  say "i prefer he wears his hair short", "in our family the boys wear their hair short", "i don't like it when his hair gets too long" or other such statements but to flat out say it's not ok.  smh!  if you look back through history men had long hair for more years then they've been wearing it short.  if you're a religious person don't forget men wore their hair long in biblical times too. 

i wonder what the father would have said if the little girl had said she wanted her hair short, it was abit past her shoulders.  would he have told her it's not ok for girls to have short hair?  if not there's a big double standard he's teaching his kids!

by on May. 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wish2Be
by Michelle on May. 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
What a jerk :(
cemcnair
by on May. 3, 2014 at 2:18 PM
That's too bad :(
momofsixangels
by Colleen on May. 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Not cool

Leelee1008
by Alicia on May. 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM
30 moms liked this

he was probably just looking for a way to shut his daughter up LOL.. Poor choice of words but in a nut shell, thats probably what he was doing.

mom2boys664
by on May. 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM
24 moms liked this

Lots of people don't think boys should have long hair, my husband would have said the same thing and it doesn't make him a jerk.  We aren't religious either, not sure how that is even relevant.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

eh i don't know about that but if your right it was a very poor choice of words.  he could have said so many other things like "why not go play with your sister", "how about you get a color sheet" etc. 

Quoting Leelee1008:

he was probably just looking for a way to shut his daughter up LOL.. Poor choice of words but in a nut shell, thats probably what he was doing.

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Not that big of a deal. And mine had his hair shaggy.
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM
5 moms liked this
Ugh, and the next time she sees a boy with ling hair she will think he is bad or wrong. And then people will think the little girl is mean. Smack the parents not the kids! GGGGRRRRR
Leelee1008
by Alicia on May. 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM

true... Some people are just very narrow minded

Quoting lizzig:

eh i don't know about that but if your right it was a very poor choice of words.  he could have said so many other things like "why not go play with your sister", "how about you get a color sheet" etc. 

Quoting Leelee1008:

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM
3 moms liked this

some religios folk, & i speak from being raised around such, think men should not have long hair, that's why i made that comment.

it is one thing to say "i don't think it's ok for boys to have long hair" & another to say "it is not ok for boys to have long hair".  one is a personal statement, the other makes it seem like it's a rule.

Quoting mom2boys664:

Lots of people don't think boys should have long hair, my husband would have said the same thing and it doesn't make him a jerk.  We aren't religious either, not sure how that is even relevant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN