Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher gift? **added picture of the gift**

Posted by on May. 16, 2014 at 2:22 PM
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

My ds has 6.5 days of school left this year. He is in Kindergarten and this is his first year of school. I was wondering if I am supposed to get the teachers a gift for the end of the year?

My ds is a type 1 diabetic. His school does not have a nurse so I taught the teachers how to care for him (which was so wonderful). One of the teachers has a dd who is a type1 diabetic so she was very familiar with how to care for ds. But, she was not his main teacher. She was in the other classroom but still helped out.

Anyway, they have done so good taking care of my boy. Checking his sugar, counting carbs, making and giving shots. They really went above and beyond what I could have every imagined. I am so thankful for them.
I Was thinking of getting the 2 main teachers a basket full of stuff to BBQ and make s'mores with over summer break.

What do you think? Do you get the teacher anything for the end of the year? Would you if you had a child who needed extra care?

I bought 2 big pitchers and filled them with Popsicles (the kind in the tubes that you have to freeze), country time lemonade packets, and the ingredients for s'mores.
by on May. 16, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2014 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I would since they helped you out so much and that's very poor of the school not having a nurse on hand 

wandep
by Pam on May. 16, 2014 at 2:28 PM
I'd send a gift card in from an office supply store.
wandep
by Pam on May. 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Well darn cellphone! I think I just reported my own comment!!! Lol so if you get something from cm I am sorry!!!!
Cafe AmyB
by Head Admin on May. 16, 2014 at 3:12 PM

LOL You sure did.  :o)

Quoting wandep: Well darn cellphone! I think I just reported my own comment!!! Lol so if you get something from cm I am sorry!!!!

wandep
by Pam on May. 16, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I figured it went thru! LOL Sorry abou tthat. I didn't mean to. Just was on my cellphone and my fingers don't work well on it. :(

Quoting Cafe AmyB:

LOL You sure did.  :o)

Quoting wandep: Well darn cellphone! I think I just reported my own comment!!! Lol so if you get something from cm I am sorry!!!!

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I did have a son also who had special medical needs.  I always made something for the teacher like the basket you are describing.  I wanted it to be something special for her to enjoy.  Sometimes I'd put a small gift card in as well. 

chicken13
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Your child wasn't an ordinary case, so I think you have to do something for them.  IMO.

nngmommy83
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2014 at 3:41 PM

yes I do get them a little something like chocolates to share or gift cards =) the baskets sound great!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

we always get a little something for the teachers.  not much but a little thank you for helping me learn this year kinda gift.  if they did as much for my children as they did for your son i'd definitely get them a gift.  it's very odd that the school doesn't have a nurse or even medical assistant.  our school district only has one registered nurse for each school cluster but each school has at least a medical assistant if not an lp.  do you know why your school doesn't have such?  not very safe for the students.

anyways, back to gifts.  this year my 1st grader found a set of 3 polka dot storage boxes for his teacher.  she loves polka dots so we had to get them for her.  found them at a store that was closing & all 3 boxes were only $1.  my 5th grade daughter has two teachers this year.  we haven't gotten a gift for one yet but the other we found her this funny kids book.  it's called lily the unicorn.  my daughter's name is lilyan & her teacher loves unicorns so it's a perfect gift from her.  much more than i generally spend on a gift but her teacher was great this year, going to bat with me a few times over things, plus she's a friend so....

bether89
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I like your idea of a gift basket  to let the teachers know how much you appreciated their taking extra care of your son this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN