Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for dog owners,

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM
  • 52 Replies
Have u ever had success with natural flea prevention?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msharleyjr
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Nope and neither did our neighbor. Oh it helps tremendously, but it didn't do the job completely. Maybe not as fast as I wanted it to either.
EireLass
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Yes. I have 3 dogs. Bathe in BLUE Dawn dish soap. After rinsing, rinse with apple cider vinegar
PinkButterfly66
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Yeah.. I put down nematodes in the front and back yard that attack flea larvae and adult fleas.  This helps keep the fleas out of the yard. But you need to reapply them every year or two.  And I sprinkle a mixture of Diatomaceous Earth (food grade!) and dried chrysanthmum flowers at the first sign of scratching.  

The chrysanthemum flowers contain a pyrethrum which is a natural insecticide that breaks down in 12 hours in sunlight.  The chrysanthmum powder kills any fleas on my cats and dog when applied and the DE works to desiccate any fleas that later hitch a ride.  

I occasionally resort to the topical flea control like Frontline but because I don't use it every month the fleas have not built up a tolerance to it and it still works for my dog.  My cats who are inside and outside and do leave the yard rarely have more than one or two fleas on them and I will dust them when I see them scratching and that usually takes care of it for a while.  My dog also leaves the yard on walks and she rarely gets very many fleas either and I will dust her when she starts biting and scratching.  If it seems to be all the time, I'll put Frontline on her.  But to be honest, it has been years since I've had to do it every month.  I still have tubes of Frontline that I bought for her from 3 or 4 years ago.

This fall when the mums come out at stores, buy a couple of big pots and harvest the flowers when they die.  Dry them and then crumble them into a powder and store in an air tight, light proof container and use this fall if you get any fleas or save til next spring.  You can get food grade diatomaceous earth on amazon.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Not for us...

EireLass
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Im on a tablet thats acting funky, but I also meant to add that once dry, I lightly dust them with diotomeceous earth.
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM
This is preventative or treatment?

Quoting EireLass: Yes. I have 3 dogs. Bathe in BLUE Dawn dish soap. After rinsing, rinse with apple cider vinegar
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:54 PM
The dawn will kill fleas, the vinegar will repel.
[
quote name="Apr1l" id="0"] This is preventative or treatment?

Quoting EireLass: Yes. I have 3 dogs. Bathe in BLUE Dawn dish soap. After rinsing, rinse with apple cider vinegar
Juniper53098
by June on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM

don't have a dog

Seashell77
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Yes, in combination with non-natural flea prevention. I use both. I put the medicine drops, such as Frontline on my pets, but still keep the house as clean as possible, using dryer sheets with laundry and other things too, not letting water sit anywhere outside in a puddle, etc. At one point I tried  using "just:" all natural products and it just wasn't strong enough to kill them. 

Seashell77
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Dawn soap works well with pet baths.

Quoting EireLass: The dawn will kill fleas, the vinegar will repel. [ quote name="Apr1l" id="0"] This is preventative or treatment?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)