Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you do?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

i just read this article about a californiat family with a 6yr old transgender son.  i also read some of the comments that followed & they truely made me sad for the state of our future.  some of the ignorance that was posted, while it shouldn't have been, was shocking to me.

https://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/parents-share-story-of-transgender-son-193216025.html

i'm not posting this to start a heated debate.  we all have our opinions of what is right & wrong?  acceptable or not?  etc. that is not the point of this post.  i am simple wondering if anyone would have the courage to listen to their child as these parents have & follow suit"? or would you stick to the conventional norms & go with what the child's body says over their brain?

it would be a very hard decision for me & i can't speak for my husband, but i would like to think i'd let my child follow their brain over their body.  but like i said it is a very hard decision to make.  it effects so much.

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
momma-flynn
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:49 PM
I have no idea what I would do.
OBImomma
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:05 PM
I have no idea what I would do
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I don't know what I would do

SarahSuzyQ
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:33 PM
I can't say I know what I would do either, though we have talked about similar situations a little bit as we have friends whose child tends to identify with the opposite gender more than their own...
Mznaye
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:35 PM
I don't know what I would do myself
LifeCafe42
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM
I'm 100% with them. I will love my child for who he is on the inside and support him in becoming whoever he wants (well aside from criminal and drug addict)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:56 AM

I think it's hard to say until you are in the position. We value gender roles here but not to point where the boys can't play with dolls, etc and the girls can't play with boy stuff... That's what I love about having both genders, they get the best of both. They will all know how to run a household, change diapers, change the oil, etc... While I hope they grow up to fulfill their standard gender roles, we don't know how their lives will turn out... that said, it would be hard if at 3, 6, or 9 they decided to be the other gender... We don't really let them make big life changing decisions in other areas of their lives... it would be a tough situation all around.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)