Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

$5 DIY kids desk from salvaged goods.

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:50 PM
  • 79 Replies
5 moms liked this

It started with this:

and a couple of 2x2's. Throw in some screws and some paint and you have this:

A kids sized art desk. The center will be getting chalk board paint and it needs another coat of red after my wood filler dries, but you get the idea.

I drilled holes along the top of the "handle" to make the crayon/pencil holder, added some legs to the cabinet door, and added some braces to the legs for stability. It took me maybe 2 hours and less than $5 in materials at the salvage yard (minus the paint and screws).

It's Angelia approved. 

I'm thinking about making a couple more to sell. What do you think? Would you buy one and how much would you pay if you did?

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:22 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 12:09 AM

That's awesome!
I would but no idea for how much :)

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jun. 5, 2014 at 12:19 AM

I love that

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Jun. 5, 2014 at 12:24 AM

That is so adorable, I love the crayon holder.  I think you should definitely sell them.  I am not a pricing expert but maybe $40 and see if there are any takers.  Since it's all wood and not plastic, I'm sure you can market that because its much more sturdy.  I hope that's not too low of a price.  I'm just thinking of what I would be willing to contact you if I saw it on Craigslist. 

virginiamama71
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 12:38 AM

great job.

proudmommy690
by Christa on Jun. 5, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Cute
taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 1:18 AM

That's really cool!
I would have bought one for my kids when they were little.
I'd suggest using painters tape on the inside edges so the frame paint doesn't get inside.
Very cool project!  Maybe add more crayon holes on the top frame so you get more colors ;) 

exhaustedmother
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Very nice-creative.

my4kidsrock2
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 6:29 AM
1 mom liked this

The paint was one of the messed up mixes at walmart that they mark down super cheap so I just threw a quick coat on to see exactly what color it was. Since it was for my daughter I figured a little sloppy won't matter, especially since that part will be covered with chalk board paint later anyways.

Quoting taKENheart:

That's really cool!I would have bought one for my kids when they were little.I'd suggest using painters tape on the inside edges so the frame paint doesn't get inside.Very cool project!  Maybe add more crayon holes on the top frame so you get more colors ;) 

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 7:00 AM

That looks great.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jun. 5, 2014 at 7:07 AM
Great idea
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN