Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should kids have cellphones in school?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM
  • 150 Replies

Our local school district is having a debate whether cell phones should be allowed in elementary/middle schools at all.  What do you think?

I have heard parents say that their kids MUST have them so they can have the ability to call mom or dad if needed.  I don't buy that.  I never had a cellphone in school and turned out just fine. Is it a need? A want? 

What are your pros and cons?

by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM

No phones in school.  Most teachers have a cellphone or a phone in their classrooms these days if there is an emergency.  And I don't think teachers should be on their phones during school except in case of emergency...during lunch or planning period is a little different, but certainly not during class.  That's a heck of an example!

mommy2boys03
by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this

At my kids' school if someone has a cell phone it gets locked in the supply closet until the end of the day.  This includes the middle school hallway. I don't think any child needs a cell phone while in class.

momkaribg
by Kari on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

Quoting TigerofMu:

No phones in school.  Most teachers have a cellphone or a phone in their classrooms these days if there is an emergency.  And I don't think teachers should be on their phones during school except in case of emergency...during lunch or planning period is a little different, but certainly not during class.  That's a heck of an example!

proudmommy690
by Christa on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep this.

Quoting TigerofMu:

virginiamama71
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

They are not needed in the schools. Parents still have to contact the school if they want to pick up their children and children still have to inform staff if they are sick or have to leave for appointments.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:55 PM
4 moms liked this

At my kid's school students can have a cell phone but it must remain off during school hours and in their backpack.

I don't see any problem with a kid having one on them at school.

mamacalifornia
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I am for cell phones at school as long as they are on vibrate during school hours. They should only be used in case of an emergency, no texting or internet use during school hours and there should be strict rules/discipline if caught using when not appropriate.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

The biggest problem is that they are very difficult to monitor.  Kids use them to send texts that are inappropriate, at least timewise, and can actually cheat via cellphone.  All they have to do is tell the teacher they don't have one and be really sneaky.  No teacher can see everything. 

Quoting mamacalifornia:

I am for cell phones at school as long as they are on vibrate during school hours. They should only be used in case of an emergency, no texting or internet use during school hours and there should be strict rules/discipline if caught using when not appropriate.

Beachdeprived
by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:32 PM

I can't really see justification for it in elementary school.  If your child is not at school then you should be with them or another adult. However in middle school, it's different if your child gets on/off the bus while you are at work. I 100% INSIST that my dd has her phone with her....doesn't mean it needs to be on at school but as far as having it with her, I am all for it. There have been many occassions too in middle school where the kids are allowed to use their phones for differnt apps, etc.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:35 PM

nope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)