Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

phone etiquette

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:49 AM
  • 84 Replies

I was taught by my parents that you don't make phone calls before 9 a.m. or after 10 p.m. unless you are calling a business that is open earlier or later.   Lately I've been getting a lot of phone calls at home after 10:30 p.m. (and I go to bed at 10 p.m.) and before 7 a.m.   My employer has gotten business calls at home as early as 5:45 a.m.  What's up with that?

What were you taught about calling times?

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:51 AM
I was taught the same. It seems that no one follows that anymore.
Tohru_Lynn89
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:52 AM
I was taught no calls before 9 am or after 9pm. Now if I'm awake when my phone rings I will answer it. If I'm asleep it goes to voice mail because my phone is on silent.
earthangel1967
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 7:42 AM

I was taught similar unless it was a friend or family member who specified it was good to call them at different hours due to sleep schedule. 

We most often call most  of our adult kids literally in middle of the  night like between 1-4am because a lot of them are awake then and Todd and I are on midnight schedule so up all night so they call us then too. We told everyone we are closest to, to call us AFTER 930pm or BEFORE 12 noon and NOT in the day unless emergency bc we are sleeping.  haha 

Drs and businesses etc or others who don't know better or who  have to call during their hours call us in the  day and we get woke up from a sound sleep and both GROAN loudly.... sometimes I check caller id to make sure its not something urgent but usually I let machine get it and hope the message is short so we can go back to sleep haha

But for businesses I usually try after 9am and before noon 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Jun. 12, 2014 at 7:47 AM

If I want to talk, I'll call between 10am and 9pm and try not to call when I think they'll be eating or in church....things like that. It's not what I was taught, but more like....the way i wish people would think before calling me, lol.

Ive been getting calls at crazy hours too, and they're never for me.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 7:49 AM

that is wayyyy too early! my one friend (no longer a friend) has called me at like 7-8am. i am up that early anyway and i only had my oldest dd1 so it was okay but i'm like you can't be bored yet to call me that early!

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Mine taught me about the same thing but not many people seem to follow that anymore.  lol

CrossStitchMum
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM
I can't call my family before 7-8am or after 8pm unless someone's really badly hurt. Even babies born at night the fathers wait til 7am to call everyone
AzariahsMother
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I was for sure taught not to call after 10pm 

As far as the early morning calling I don't know.  I mean I wouldn't call people at 7am unless they knew I was calling or it was a set time or something like that.  In my line of business we start calling people at 8am 

Moms_Angels1960
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I was taught nothing after 9 and nothing before 7. I think with cell phones now there is no rules they just call.

slw123
by Shawna on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
9 pm is my cut off at night. I get down right nasty if people call me after 9.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN