Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Summer Solstice

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM
  • 53 Replies
3 moms liked this
June 21, 2014 is

Summer Solstice

Today is the Summer Solstice! For people who live in the Northern Hemisphere of the world, today is the longest day of the year and the first official day of summer. In the Arctic Circle, there will be 24 hours of daylight!

The summer solstice occurs when the Earth’s axial tilt is closest to the sun. This occurs in late June for the Northern Hemisphere and late December for the Southern Hemisphere. The summer solstice is a significant time for many religions and cultures. Today, people all over the world will mark this important milestone in the year with festivals, gatherings, and rituals.

To celebrate the summer solstice, grab your sunglasses and head outside to enjoy the extra hours of daylight! Happy summer!

by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM

i sure we'll be enjoying it today.  hubby always wants to go out & do things with the kids when he gets off work on saturdays.

earthangel1967
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Happy 1st day of SUmmer everyone! Honestly summer is my most hated of all the seasons because i am a huge baby about heat (anything above 75 is miserable to me), humidity is even worse and also I am terrified spiders and centipedes lol... BUT at the same time I still find the changing of each season exciting and something to celebrate. 

Tonight Todd has the night off so we are going to go on a date somewhere (not sure where yet ) but am excited about that and I celebrated so far this morning by decorating all my online profiles on cafemom, facebook, twitter, my email background all summery as well as the wallpaper on my laptop and ipod touch and I am wearing yellow like the  sun today and I changed my scentsy warmers to one of my new summer fragrances of Pink Zebra watermelon sprinkles and I changed my bathroom scentsy spray to my new summer one Havana cabana which is a mix of pineapple, orange, banana and berries. and I changed  my cafemom siggy to a new summer one too.  Also we will now be using the Ocean waves and sounds as well as summer meadow sounds on our sleep sound machine at bedtime now thru summer (we listen to different ones in different seasons like rain and thunder or bubbling brook in spring and cracking fire in winter etc)  So off to a good start : D 

I love immersing myself in each season and celebrating them, even my least favorite ones. : ) 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

wandep
by Pam on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM

That is sweet. 

Quoting lizzig:

i sure we'll be enjoying it today.  hubby always wants to go out & do things with the kids when he gets off work on saturdays.

wandep
by Pam on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Happy First Day of Summer.

We are just hanging out at home today. I'm trying to work on cleaning and laundry. Hubby is painting the bathroom. I can't wait till it gets finished. I'm also working on a menu and grocery list for the week.

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM

yes!  i started this morning, got up early and went outside to salute the sun. arms wide open and face to it, it felt wonderful and recharged my batteries :)

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

very nice and productive day! :)  now you are making me want to do something around the house lol

Quoting wandep:

Happy First Day of Summer.

We are just hanging out at home today. I'm trying to work on cleaning and laundry. Hubby is painting the bathroom. I can't wait till it gets finished. I'm also working on a menu and grocery list for the week.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
earthangel1967
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh and we put 3 big pots of pretty red geraniums out on our patio for the first time since we moved here and we love them so much, that is something we agreed we are going to do from now on every spring and summer. : ) 

YAY  I hope our wildlife friends that we feed will like them too. : ) 

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

wow! :)  now that is embracing the seasons.. i want to go do some of your adeas now!

have fun at your date night :)

Quoting earthangel1967:

Happy 1st day of SUmmer everyone! Honestly summer is my most hated of all the seasons because i am a huge baby about heat (anything above 75 is miserable to me), humidity is even worse and also I am terrified spiders and centipedes lol... BUT at the same time I still find the changing of each season exciting and something to celebrate. 

Tonight Todd has the night off so we are going to go on a date somewhere (not sure where yet ) but am excited about that and I celebrated so far this morning by decorating all my online profiles on cafemom, facebook, twitter, my email background all summery as well as the wallpaper on my laptop and ipod touch and I am wearing yellow like the  sun today and I changed my scentsy warmers to one of my new summer fragrances of Pink Zebra watermelon sprinkles and I changed my bathroom scentsy spray to my new summer one Havana cabana which is a mix of pineapple, orange, banana and berries. and I changed  my cafemom siggy to a new summer one too.  Also we will now be using the Ocean waves and sounds as well as summer meadow sounds on our sleep sound machine at bedtime now thru summer (we listen to different ones in different seasons like rain and thunder or bubbling brook in spring and cracking fire in winter etc)  So off to a good start : D 

I love immersing myself in each season and celebrating them, even my least favorite ones. : ) 

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
earthangel1967
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM

thank you tee hee thanks.. my adult kids and loved ones tease me because I get giddy excited and celebrate so many things as all out as I can.. from each seasons change to holidays (often even silly smaller holidays that many people don't even pay attention to haha) I am like a little kid on xmas morning when it comes to such stuff, always have been and always will be.  I am glad you like some of my ideas and I hope you will have fun with them too! : ) Come back and  tell us what you end up doing, I for one would LOVE to hear about it. 

I am even prepared for the parts of summer I DON'T like.. on nice days I will open windows and sliding glass doors for cross breeze, on too hot or humid of a days I will turn on A/C on high, and I will be having maintenance send exterminator over to spray entire perimeter inside and outside of my apt to PREVENT any spiders and centipedes from coming inside so I don't have to go hysterical haha (I know I will still get a couple thru the season but it at least cuts back on how many times I am traumatized haha) 

spiderpeeking

Quoting yvonne37:

wow! :)  now that is embracing the seasons.. i want to go do some of your adeas now!

have fun at your date night :)

Quoting earthangel1967:

cemcnair
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM
I love this day, but always get a little sad. After today, the days get shorter again, sigh....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)