Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Living with the minimum

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM
  • 63 Replies
2 moms liked this

Hello All -

My husband, my two sons and I recently moved into a rental home with my husbands Aunt and Uncle. The reason for this is that we were/are drowning in debt and so are they.

We all agreed to live together for 1 year, and in that time - we can all get a fresh start.

One thing that kinda sucks, but is also kinda nice - most of our stuff needed replaced due to wear and tear. We have lived together for 4 years, and most of our items were given to us. Our couch belonged to my husband's ex's grand parents for pete's sake!

So we kept what we needed, and trashed the rest.

We've lived together for a month, and I've already paid down 500 dollars in debt. Next month, I can do 800. I'm excited ! LOL.

Anyways - The point of my post. I am trying to learn to live with less. My home has always been a wreck, due to having too much stuff.

What are some things that you have and you really don't need - or things that are always in your way.

For example - We are a family of 4 - why did I need a linen closet full of towel. I took it down to 4.

I also can't resist sale shopping - so I have 6 bottles of baby soap. SIX BOTTLES. I've used 2 bottles in 8 months. What the hell am I doing with 6 bottles? This is with everything

How do you keep the clutter under control ?

by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM

That's great that your minimizing your debt...CONGRATULATIONS....The only thing that I have alot of is my teapots and my craft supplies..Oh and plants...But NOBODY is going to get rid of my teapots,craft supplies or plants....lol..... 

deccaf
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I have a small house.  That minimizes what I buy simply because I don't have room.  I am pretty good with getting by with less spending.  But DH spends a lot!

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Stick with organizing things I have a small ranch so we he can buy much bc we don't have the space and we use containers for what we have to keep things organized 

momkaribg
by Kari on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Thats awesome. Good luck

sal26
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM
organizers are your bff. also books, movies and video games can be rented from the library/ rental store
adamsmom0116
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Wow! Congratulations on paying down your debt - that's awesome! :)

DH and the kids get superupset when I get rid of things. It's horrible. I have long thought that we need to get rid of about 1/3 of what we own. Everything from towels (like you said) to outgrown clothes to Legos to movies that nobody watches.......*Sigh* I give up. I keep thinking that some day when school is in session I am going to take a couple of days off work and not tell anyone. Then use those days to purge. In real life, I don't think I have the nerve.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I don't really. We go through stuff often to keep down clutter, but we love to read and have lots of books and the kids have their toys and stuff. There are other things that need to go, my husband is supposed to sell some stuff but he hasn't yet. Our house is about 1300 sq feet and we have 5 people

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm pretty minimalist to begin with. I abhor clutter so I keep my house uncluttered, we're one of those rare creatures that actually parks the car in the garage.

My garage contains Fat Albert (Dh's car), a bike, 2 scooters, cat carriers, Halloween Decorations, and Christmas Decorations.

Congrats on paying down debt! :)

earthangel1967
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Good job! Proud of you!  When our 5 kids became adults and moved out , Todd and I didn't want or need a big house or  a house at all for that matter anymore.. so we wanted to downsize a LOT... so we sold some stuff as well as the house but a ton of our stuff we gave away or donated... some to our adult kids to start their own places and it was so much fun giving appliances and a trampoline and xmas tree and xmas tree decorations to various poor families in that little town we use to live in, they were so excited and we felt like santa claus!  

We moved into a 495 sq foot apt 1 bathroom  1 bedroom 1 living room 1 teeny tiny kitchen.. we had kept almost nothing at all.. except our clothes and some sentimental things and our cat and bird.. we started all over again on purpose. When we bought dishes we only got a setting for 4 since there is just us 2 and few cupboards and no kitchen drawer lol.. Neither one of us can STAND clutter or storing anything that we don't have to, we like our closests organized too so we only buy enough food and paper goods etc for one week at a time .. so there is no excess, that is how we LIKE it.  It's super easy to keep the apt clean and perfect because of that and also because it's so small even when I deep clean it once a week it only takes a 1/2 hr lol.  Big yard but maintenance takes care  of that and so we have so much free time and while we can afford a big apt or even a house we don't need all that and neither one of us wants to take care of all that either so we love  having all this free time to go on lots of dates and just relax and do whatever we feel like doing and it gives us free time to just enjoy ourselves instead of feeling like slaves to a house and yard work and maintenance and also we are saving a lot of money so we can afford really fun dates and doing things on our bucket lists and traveling and giving to others to help them. 

We don't feel like we are sacrificing a thing either.. we feel spoiled honestly! : ) We agreed we would want to live here this way even if we hit the lotto or something.  

Proud of you and keep up the good work! 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

MommeisQueen
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Wow. I'd be no help on this one because I'd rather have more than enough. Good luck !
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)