Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sometimes I wish I lived far far away...

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM
  • 30 Replies
This way I wouldn't have to deal with relatives. I have an aunt who lived in our house for a year. We agreed on her not paying rent but paying a couple of utility bills. She had her own room, she put cable on her 50 in. Tv in her room, she had access to use our kitchen and laundry room. She took over the whole garage as storage for her things (a whole one bedroom apartment) she used part of our attic and crawl space also to store things. I cooked and all she had to do was the dishes. The agreement was that we would help her, she would go to college this way she didnt have to work, she would pay at least 2 utilities, and put in a bathroom where her room was. She agreed. 5 mmonths went by.. stopped paying the cable and helping with groceries. She quit school after her first semester. And never put the bathroom in. At about 7 months into the year she offer us a loan to help us get ahead. We took it and i regret it with all my heart because now that she is out of our house she keeps asking for the money... she has the balls to text me about it just several weeks after my mother in law passed... knowing that my husband had to pay to bury her on his own.
I am so disappointed on relatives. When i was recently divorced, with my then 4 years old son homeless and jobless NOBODY asked if i needed anything. My father let me back home and as soon as i got a job i was paying for the room i was using with my son... my husband is still mourning and she knows he is the only one working here.. why cant people be more sensitive? Its not like she has no money, i have seen her accounts... she has over 75,000 in assets and her man works. I know we owe her and we will pay her... but shouldn't we be deducting what she owes us? Everything she used and didnt pay.. the things she promised and reneged on? She stopped helping and she didnt put the bathroom. I dont even know how to approach her.. she is my aunt and i dont want bad blood between us but at the same time i feel she is being unfair to me and my husband.
Ladies word of advice... never let any relatives in your home.
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Pay her off as quickly as you can and then don't help her or accept help from her again

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Thats how i feel. :( its sad but i am distancing myself from a lot of people

Quoting othermom:

Pay her off as quickly as you can and then don't help her or accept help from her again

slw123
by Shawna on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I already know that I would never let anyone move in.
cemcnair
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs!!
You should deduct what she owes you, pay her the rest, and be done with it.
My dh and I were just discussing how the harder you work and the less you take from others doesn't have the same meaning it used to. We work really hard to be independent and never ask for help. So, we don't ever get any help. My sister is a loser and moocher and my parents give her everything. Squeaky wheel syndrome I guess...
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM
I learned the hard way.

Quoting slw123: I already know that I would never let anyone move in.
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:46 AM
My husband did the numbers and told me we should pay her minus what she owes. I agree but i know she will talk behind our backs to everyone... i dont care at this point.
Funny thing is that we were doing just fine until she moved in.. you should see the water bill how it went up with her 15 min showers and the electric bill with her tv and blowing her hair every week. :( i gotta stop this is making me sick.

Quoting cemcnair: Hugs!!
My dh and I were just discussing how the harder you work and the less you take from others doesn't have the same meaning it used to. We work really hard to be independent and never ask for help. So, we don't ever get any help. My sister is a loser and moocher and my parents give her everything. Squeaky wheel syndrome I guess...
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Ohh and thanks for the hugs.. :) much needed right now.

Quoting yvonne37: My husband did the numbers and told me we should pay her minus what she owes. I agree but i know she will talk behind our backs to everyone... i dont care at this point.
Funny thing is that we were doing just fine until she moved in.. you should see the water bill how it went up with her 15 min showers and the electric bill with her tv and blowing her hair every week. :( i gotta stop this is making me sick.

Quoting cemcnair: Hugs!!
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:47 AM

HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS....I live far,far,FAR away from my mom and sisters...I miss them, but I know sooner or later we'd get into a fight.....I think your Aunt should have some compassion tho...Sooo sorry for the loss of your mother in law....

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Thank you so much. Thats how i feel... when i got her text i was organizing some things to try to sell them and i would have not told him anything but he saw my reaction and felt my anger so he asked who texted me and made me upset so i told him... he felt like she didnt care he is going through things and after all he did to help her out.. he is not obligated to because its not his aunt, its mine. So this is what made me so sad and mad.

Quoting lil_mama06:

HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS....I live far,far,FAR away from my mom and sisters...I miss them, but I know sooner or later we'd get into a fight.....I think your Aunt should have some compassion tho...Sooo sorry for the loss of your mother in law....

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:53 AM
I gotta tell you i was so much happier when living far from everyone even when i missed them.

Quoting yvonne37: Thank you so much. Thats how i feel... when i got her text i was organizing some things to try to sell them and i would have not told him anything but he saw my reaction and felt my anger so he asked who texted me and made me upset so i told him... he felt like she didnt care he is going through things and after all he did to help her out.. he is not obligated to because its not his aunt, its mine. So this is what made me so sad and mad.

Quoting lil_mama06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)