Group Home

No, I will not give my son that medicine!!

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:27 AM
  • 120 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

My 15 month old's foot swelled and got red two days ago. I took him to the doctor yesterday. They think he got a little cut that got infected. The doctor lanced it (awful!!!), and prescribed an antibiotic ointment and this oral antibiotic.
It's awful. It literally smells like shit. I even paid extra at the pharmacist's recommendation to add extra flavoring. Still doesn't help. I tried 6 times yesterday to get this down him. He maybe got a 1/4 dose. I tried mixing it with drinks, food, straight. Nothing. He's not having it.
Last night I tried one more dose. As I'm sitting there holding my baby in a full body hold trying to force this nastiness down his throat, I realize that no, no I will not be using this medication.
I call the nurse line to ask for another type. Hopefully they'll give me something else today because it's not like this kind was doing any good anyway since he refused to swallow any.

Have you ever refuse a medication and requested an alternative?
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Clindamycin is pretty rank as a liquid. My oldest had to take it recently for basically the same reason (infected cut on her foot). I made her deal with it, but she's 11. It's pretty rough on the stomach though, so she had to take it with food.

cemcnair
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM
If he were old enough for me to explain, it's be different. But he's a baby/toddler. There's no way this is happening :(

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Clindamycin is pretty rank as a liquid. My oldest had to take it recently for basically the same reason (infected cut on her foot). I made her deal with it, but she's 11. It's pretty rough on the stomach though, so she had to take it with food.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I've asked for different formulations of stuff before.  Or if there was an alternative.  But I don't think I've ever outright said NO.

feet are tough to treat.  The circulation isn't great.  So infections can really go crazy.  Keep an eye on it momma!

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Oh no I agree that's why I put my DD's age, she's old enough to know that medicine sometimes tastes like crap. She had the choice of getting pills, but claimed she couldn't swallow them (even though she can swallow pills) she won't make that choice next time I bet. LOL.

Quoting cemcnair: If he were old enough for me to explain, it's be different. But he's a baby/toddler. There's no way this is happening :(
Quoting mom2jessnky:

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I haven't...I had to "manhandle" my girls when they were little with icky medicine....Not fun at all...Hopefully they will give you something else...HUGS HUGS HUGS

cemcnair
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM
I just don't think there's any version of this I can get him to take!

I've got the creme too and I'll keep that on it.

Quoting chicken13:

I've asked for different formulations of stuff before.  Or if there was an alternative.  But I don't think I've ever outright said NO.

feet are tough to treat.  The circulation isn't great.  So infections can really go crazy.  Keep an eye on it momma!

cemcnair
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Cream?
Looks funny either way!

Quoting cemcnair: I just don't think there's any version of this I can get him to take!

I've got the creme too and I'll keep that on it.

Quoting chicken13:

cemcnair
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Lol! I'll bet not!

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Oh no I agree that's why I put my DD's age, she's old enough to know that medicine sometimes tastes like crap. She had the choice of getting pills, but claimed she couldn't swallow them (even though she can swallow pills) she won't make that choice next time I bet. LOL.

Quoting cemcnair: If he were old enough for me to explain, it's be different. But he's a baby/toddler. There's no way this is happening :(

Quoting mom2jessnky:

cemcnair
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:41 PM
It was awful, he was spraying it out between my fingers when I tried to keep his mouth shut :(

Quoting lil_mama06:

I haven't...I had to "manhandle" my girls when they were little with icky medicine....Not fun at all...Hopefully they will give you something else...HUGS HUGS HUGS

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM

did he do a culture to see what other antibiotic it would be sensitive to? sometimes some meds are resistant to infections and that is why they give you a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky