Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

getting nervous!

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:57 PM
  • 48 Replies

the kids & i are supposed to leave this week for a trip up to ohio.  hubby can't go so it'll just be me doing the driving for the long trip.  i'm planning on driving straight through to save on money & i hate long car rides!  4hrs is my max before i start getting antsy & this is about a 12hr trip.  i plan on making a few pit stops at rest areas & stretching our legs for a bit but it's still going to be along drive.  i've made it before but this is the first time with both kids by myself. 

while i'm a bit nervous about the drive itself that's not at the top of my anxiety list.  we will be staying with my parents.  my father & i don't get along.  i left home spring of my senior year in high school & haven't looked back.  haven't really spoken to him since.  he's a very unhappy man & likes to make those around him the same.  you can't have a conversation with him because everything turns into an argument & fight.  pretty much all of my siblings stay away for the same reason.  we had enough of it growing up we don't want to subject our kids to it.   so the fact that we'll be staying with my father while we're there is giving me some anxiety.  we don't have to stay with my parents, my sil said we could stay with them, they have plenty of space for the 3 of us.  my mom however is not in the best of health & i want the kids to spend as much time with her this trip as possible.  & that's my other anxiety, seeing my mom.

since i had my daughter in 2003 my mom's been coming down to visit every summer for a few weeks.  last summer she couldn't do so though.  she spent much of june in the hospital.  the night she was admitted she flat lined 3x's.  she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, had a pacemaker put in which caused issues so she had to have it replaced.  heart wise she is doing well but mentally she is declining.  she's never had a good memory & as we know memory gets worse with age.  the year prior to last june she really started to mentally decline.  after finding out about her heart issue the dr's were hopeful that her memory would improve.  they thought/hoped the lack of circulation was what was affecting it.  it hasn't though.  they don't know if it's alzheimer's, dementia or simple old age but she's getting progressively worse. i hear it from my siblings & sil every time i talk to them. 

as i said my father & i have no relationship.  he however offered to fly the kids & i up to ohio so my mom could see us.  he's apparently been stressing to my sil how much he wants the kids & i to see my mom this summer.  for him to offer to fly the 3 of us up there has me really worried.  this is the man that can't even give his children $20 to help them out but is offering to spend $1500 to fly me, the daughter he's freely admited he never wanted & my two children up to visit my mom.  things can't be good.

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahsmommy816
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:23 PM

hugs

wandep
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Hugs...good luck on the driving up there and I hope things will be okay for you and your family. I think I would have taken him up on the flying part. The drive would scare me to death but then I don't drive much.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

that's what everyone says too but if i did i wouldn't have a car while there so i'd be at the mercy of friends & family.  which means i couldn't do all i wanted to with the kids.  my parents are down to one car since my mom's declining so i really couldn't borrow there's while i'm visiting.  plus my son is 6 & still in a booster so i'd have to fool with checking that in & lugging it around the airport.   

Quoting wandep:

Hugs...good luck on the driving up there and I hope things will be okay for you and your family. I think I would have taken him up on the flying part. The drive would scare me to death but then I don't drive much.

mom2jessnky
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Good luck on the drive and with the visit.
AzariahsMother
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Good luck! I don't kno if I could drive 12 straight. I'm sure I could if I had to but wouldn't want to. I bet you can do it.
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM

thanks!

Quoting mom2jessnky: Good luck on the drive and with the visit.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

i'm sure all will be well.  just may take us longer to get up there then most! ;o)

Quoting AzariahsMother: Good luck! I don't kno if I could drive 12 straight. I'm sure I could if I had to but wouldn't want to. I bet you can do it.

wandep
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Yeah all good points. :) Hope you have a safe trip. 

Quoting lizzig:

that's what everyone says too but if i did i wouldn't have a car while there so i'd be at the mercy of friends & family.  which means i couldn't do all i wanted to with the kids.  my parents are down to one car since my mom's declining so i really couldn't borrow there's while i'm visiting.  plus my son is 6 & still in a booster so i'd have to fool with checking that in & lugging it around the airport.   

Quoting wandep:

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks!

Quoting wandep:

Yeah all good points. :) Hope you have a safe trip. 

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting wandep:

Whereismymind
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Good luck and hugs!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)