Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Check out my huge...

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:05 PM
  • 121 Replies
4 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

...tomato plant!

Ok, I know we've all seen bigger. But I grew this baby from a seed, so I'm pretty psyched! It's too early for any tomatoes yet, but I'm getting lots of buds and little flowers. :)

How is everyone else's garden doing these days? Any good harvests lately, or plants that are especially exciting?
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Oh that great! I've never had luck with potted tomatoes or tomatoes from seed.

I'm getting some yield from mine. I'll get a pic tomorrow if I remember. Some cherry tomatoes are starting, green beans, snow peas and gypsy peppers. The lettuce and spinach are about finished. Cucumbers should be any day
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:23 PM
What's a gypsy pepper?

I'm doing everything from seed this year because I got a bunch of seeds for free... Usually I would buy some plants and just use seeds for direct sow plants like cucumbers, lettuce, squash, etc.
What about you, do you usually buy starters, or do some seeds?

Would love to see a pic tomorrow, I've been enjoying your periodic garden updates. I love talking gardens and hearing about everyone's success!

Quoting MamaJane: Oh that great! I've never had luck with potted tomatoes or tomatoes from seed.

I'm getting some yield from mine. I'll get a pic tomorrow if I remember. Some cherry tomatoes are starting, green beans, snow peas and gypsy peppers. The lettuce and spinach are about finished. Cucumbers should be any day
deedee3849
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Nice!
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Thanks for humoring me in my excitement. :) Do you garden at all?

Quoting deedee3849: Nice!
sunshinepraying
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Nice!
deedee3849
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Yes but this year I did not get to. I was suppose to but didn't find the time. I planted a few things in pots but the dumb raccoons got to them. Grrrrrr

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: Thanks for humoring me in my excitement. :) Do you garden at all?

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:37 PM
I love garden talk too! Most if the time I feel like a dork when I talk garden.

Gypsy was new to me. It's a mild pepper. It has some zing, more than a bell, but nothing like a Tabasco. They produce a ton.

I've never tried. cucumber from seed. Do they grow well? I do lettuce, spinach, beans, peas, radish from seeds. Tomatoes and peppers are always from transplants. Onions are from sets.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: What's a gypsy pepper?

I'm doing everything from seed this year because I got a bunch of seeds for free... Usually I would buy some plants and just use seeds for direct sow plants like cucumbers, lettuce, squash, etc.

Would love to see a pic tomorrow, I've been enjoying your periodic garden updates. I love talking gardens and hearing about everyone's success!

Quoting MamaJane: Oh that great! I've never had luck with potted tomatoes or tomatoes from seed.

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:37 PM

I'm 5'1 and I have some that are only an inch or two shorter than me.  we've had several banana peppers and the tomatoes are forming now but not ready to harvest yet.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:39 PM
Oh no! We just had a raccoon start showing up here and I'm worried he will find my garden... Such a bummer about yours. :(

Quoting deedee3849: Yes but this year I did not get to. I was suppose to but didn't find the time. I planted a few things in pots but the dumb raccoons got to them. Grrrrrr

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: Thanks for humoring me in my excitement. :) Do you garden at all?

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Garden dorks are welcome here, lol! I don't think we're alone... :)

I've had really good luck with all kinds of cucumber seeds sown directly into the ground: pickling, pickle bush, and regular. I have good sun, so I'm sure that helps. Usually they pop right up. Onions on the other hand... Yours do well? I tried a few years ago with the little seed onions, and they just never turned into anything.

I'm going to have to remember gypsy peppers for next year. Seems like something my family would like.

Quoting MamaJane: I love garden talk too! Most if the time I feel like a dork when I talk garden.

Gypsy was new to me. It's a mild pepper. It has some zing, more than a bell, but nothing like a Tabasco. They produce a ton.

I've never tried. cucumber from seed. Do they grow well? I do lettuce, spinach, beans, peas, radish from seeds. Tomatoes and peppers are always from transplants. Onions are from sets.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: What's a gypsy pepper?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN