Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on DH's Surgery/Hospitalization (A Yikes & A Yay & A Haha)

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:19 AM
  • 43 Replies

This is a follow up - update post from when I shared about my DH Todd having hernia surgery on small hernia  & about tennis ball size hernia last Friday & how they decided he had to stay in hospital for pain  management etc. at:

thank yougroup hug Thank you to all of you who expressed caring, offered support, asked how he is doing and wished him well or sent prayers. Todd and I appreciate each one of you!  I apologize for taking  so long to update... I haven't had much  chance/time to be on Cafemom this week but

peekingprayingTHE YIKES 

what happened was they were trying to do pain management after his surgery, but morphine  and Oxycodone wasn't making hardly any difference in pain level so they upped it to stronger dose of oxycodone & morphine and still didn't hardly help at all.. so then they took him off morphine and gave him Dilaudid... that didn't help pain very much either, but not long after they gave him that he also felt nauseaus so they gave him anti nausea meds too but he still felt sick (didn't vomit though) and started sweating profusely (no fever and hospital room was comfortably cool)  his vitals monitor alarms went off because his oxygen level dropped quickly to only 77% even with oxygen tubes in his nose, his heart rate went up, his  blood pressure dropped low, his breathing was slightly labored, he kept having hot and cold sweats,  his eyes were only opened slits, Nurse rushed into room and pried eyes open & said the pupils were like pinpoints, she said "Oh  no he's out of it" Todd can you hear me? He mumbled "uh huh" She said "Do you  know where you are?" He mumbled "uh huh" She said "Where are you? He said "Providence" She said "Oh good at least he knows where he is." Within minutes the room was full or nurses, surgeons, drs. radiology, pulmonary specialists etc. They were all doing tests on him as fast as they could... Bloodwork, over all check up, cat scans, xrays, ekg, breathing test etc. all very fast moving. They made the  test results to be done stat by lab as they explained they were very worried he may be suffering dangerous blood clot or even potentially deadly pulmonary embolism and were on verge of putting him in Intensive Care Unit (this all happened very suddenly, unexpectedly and fast within 15 min he changed so drastically ) It was scary but the hospital kept telling me thank goodness I was there because I was able to tell them how he changed and in what order and how fast etc. 


wipe browbouncingA YAY!
The results thankfully all came back negative, in that everything was ok on the tests to see if his life was in danger from pulmonary embolism or blood clot, it wasn't! So then they knew he had a bad reaction to the Dilaudid.. they gave  him more fluids thru IV to help get it ouf of his system and put his oxygen on full blast to up his oxygen as quickly as possible, and within 15-20 min his eyes were wide open and fully responsive and for pain they switched him to hydrocodone and toradol and a local lidocaine patch,  they also gave him anti blood clot  injections in belly near surgical site and make him breath into a breathing apparatus every hour 10x's an hour minimum & anti blood clot squeezing things on his calves (he had the breathing thing and calves thing whole time there and we have the breathing thing and a calves squeezer masager at home too). They said NO MORE DILAUDID for you! They told him how close he was to being put in intensive care and how worried they all were about him.  Both they and I watched him extra close that whole night and his nurse very very slowly turned his full blast oxygen down bit by bit to see if it would still stay up in healthy 90th % region.. by noon next day he had pain levels down to a very tolerable 4 on scale of 1 to 10 and was walking slowly on his own , not lightheaded, and fully alert so they let him go home with me in cab. He saw our Dr a couple days later and she has him taking 1 baby asprin a day until healed from surgery to help prevent blood clots too and will check on him weekly until healed, plus he will see surgeon in a few weeks too.

I'm so relieved he is home and doing well .. better each day!  His incision is about 4 inches long on abdomen just above belly button.

laughingAnd a couple HAHA's.

He's resting a lot but walking  around which is good for him too. Our cat and cockatiel are So happy to have daddy home from work and from the  hospital, they are celebrating  him being here and both want to sit on him all the time even when he's napping, our bird keeps trying to kiss him on the lips even when he is asleep and Todd wrinkles nose in his sleep and turns head so then the bird RUNS as fast as he can across his chest to chase his turning face to reach his lips and kiss them again and again hahaha (can't blame him!) 


Medley our cockatiel left a "message" about what he thinks about daddy going back to work on dr restrictions starting upcoming Sunday night.... hahahaha! Luckily it's laminated so washed right off... I know our cat doesn't want him to go back either so luckily she didn't leave a "message" on his work id badge too hey? HAHAHA

He's healing as well as to be expected now and pain is manageable and  he can get up and  down with out any help now too. 

Again thanks for caring,... my friends! 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Good he's home now!

by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Scary call! My ex had a reaction to too much dilaudid, and they had to give him narcan because his o2 was so low etc. I bet you are very happy that he's home where you can take care of him.

by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this

What an ordeal!  I'm glad to hear you're both home now.

Question:  how well did the hospital deal with your and Todd's diet?  Were they accommodating?

by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this
That is scary! I'm glad he's ok and the bird is hilarious
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this
What a scary time! I'm glad the hospital reacted quickly when he started having a reactiom.
I am also glad he is ready to go back to work
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Glad he is doing better. The bird just missed him lol.

by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Yikes I'm so sorry I missed this but I'm glad he's doing better!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

That is good that he is home

by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow... So glad they caught and fixed the problem quickly! Great to hear he's home and recovering nicely.

by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Glad he's doing well now. And lol at the bird. Cockatiels are awesome.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)