Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a generator?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:40 AM
  • 36 Replies

We travel a lot and while we were gone our garage freezer died and I lost a lot of food. I know a generator wouldn't have helped in that incident, but I'm thinking about getting one when we buy a new one, in case of a power outage. Would it automatically cut on after a power outage?

by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM

You would need a special set-up for it to go on automatically. Ours is a portable unit that gets set up when we lose electricity. 

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

You would need a generator that is set up to your electrical supply that would flip on in the event of a power outage.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a whole house generator. It does flip automatically.

we used to have a portable 40amp generator with a patch panel.  This allowed us to use it with our well pump and furnace, which are both typically hard wired. 

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jul. 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
We debated buying one but haven't yet. We have a neighbor who has her house set up with one that automatically cuts on when the power goes out. She has some serious health issues and thankfully our street is usually one of the first to get power because she is on a special list. We had borrowed a generator when Ike hit and hooked up the deep freeze to it. We still lost everything because it wasn't strong enough.
Angela4boys
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM
No, but I wish we did because our power goes out a lot!
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Yes we have one after hurricane sandy 

bether89
by Ruby Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 1:18 PM

We have a generator that we got after tornados came through our area a few years ago.  We were without power for a week.  Our generator doesn't automatically cut on.  We would have to add gas, turn it on and plug in the items that we wanted to run on it.

MistressMinerva
by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Nope

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:33 PM

This...

Quoting ceciliam:

You would need a generator that is set up to your electrical supply that would flip on in the event of a power outage.

proudmommy690
by Christa on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:34 PM
I don't have one
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN