Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is her time more important than MINE?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM
  • 285 Replies
2 moms liked this

OK so I was shopping at grocery store yesterday and had about 30 items in my cart.  There were only 3 checkouts open and about three people in each line. The woman behind me asked if she could go ahead of me as she only had a couple of things, probably about 6. I asked her if there was any particular reason and she said no so I told her no, that I wanted to get out of the grocery store as well.

It felt as if she was saying her time was more important than mine. She had no special reason  so why should I let her go ahead?  What would you have done?

by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fraujones
by Amanda on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this

I can be a pushover, so I might have said yes :/ 

fraujones
by Amanda on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM
18 moms liked this

I usually offer to let people go ahead if they have 1-3 items. 

EireLass
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM
6 moms liked this

I would hhave let her go. I usually do. 

Janet
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I would have let her go.

MayTheFourth
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 11:38 AM
5 moms liked this

And what if the person behind her only has two items? Where does the madness stop?

Quoting EireLass:

I would hhave let her go. I usually do. 

jackiewal10
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't have. I feel the same as you.  Now, if she had just gotten an emergency call or something, maybe. But...TBH, I might not even then.  I am usually shopping with at least two of my kids.  All 6 and under.  I am not so inclined to make THEM wait for anyone, for any reason.

proudmommy690
by Christa on Jul. 14, 2014 at 11:59 AM
3 moms liked this
It really depends on how much stuff I had compared to the person. Normally I have a bunch of stuff so I probably would've let her go.
mem82
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM
59 moms liked this
I would have let her go ahead if I had a cartful. It's the polite thing to do. Honestly, I don't see why you wouldn't. It is the small acts of kindness that make the most impact on the world. If you had no where pressing to be, what would it have hurt? Don't ask why her time is more important than yours, ask why your time is more important than hers.
Beachdeprived
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I applaud you for asking her. Face to face I am rather non-confrontational so I would have conceded and let her go. Of course a couple weeks ago at the store, the clerk signaled me to come to an open line and there was a girl behind me with like 2 items. She was on her phone yapping but I told her to go ahead and go since she only had a 2 things. I didn't even get a thank you... and that is what you get for being nice! :(

I do despise that when people their time is more valuable than yours!

jackiewal10
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM
14 moms liked this

Can I ask why you feel it is impolite to not offer to let someone go ahead of you?  I'm honestly curious, not trying to pick a fight or anything.  I don't agree (obviously).  Everyone typically has to wait in line to check out.  OP was there ahead of this woman.  I actually find it rude that the person asked to go ahead.  THAT is what's impolite, IMO.  Yeah, if she was running late and trying to save even 3 minutes, ok.  But why doesn't she have to wait just like everyone else?

Quoting mem82: I would have let her go ahead if I had a cartful. It's the polite thing to do. Honestly, I don't see why you wouldn't. It is the small acts of kindness that make the most impact on the world. If you had no where pressing to be, what would it have hurt? Don't ask why her time is more important than yours, ask why your time is more important than hers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)