Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom not using car seats

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:25 AM
  • 66 Replies

I just came from the grocery store and the woman next to me was getting into her car at the same time I was.  I had my DD and she had two kids.  One was probably about 7, the othe was probably 3.

I noticed that there was no carseat or booster seat in her car at all. I know it's not my place to tell her how to parent but that youngest for sure needed to be in a car seat. I wanted to go up and say something but I didn't want to cause any trouble. I will never forgive myself if I hear on the news later that her children were injured or worse.

by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Whereismymind
by Amanda on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:29 AM
3 moms liked this
:( makes me so upset to see things like that.
She probably does know they should be but chooses not to.
Beachdeprived
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:35 AM

In Missouri, she would be violating the child restraint laws with the 3 year old for sure! That is my absolute complete and total pet peeve. I will never ever ever comprehend how people do not properly restratin their children!! 

Like you, I would have been afraid to say something because with my luck, she would have pounded the poop out of me but honestly, even if you had said something, it probably would not have made a difference. She didn't care before and would not care after. All you can do is say a little prayer that the children are safe.

Hello07
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have called the police and told them that she didn't have a child in a car seat and what her car looked like and what way she was driving.

That's illegal and a fucking stupid thing for her to do.
mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:38 AM

If she was breaking car seat laws for the state, I would have called the cops. She was definitely breaking it for the little one, even in states where the law is a sick joke like Florida.

NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Maybe she's an aunt, and just didn't have the car seats. I'll admit yes, when my middle one was about two she went off with my aunt and didn't have her car seat. My aunt just went like maybe 150 yards from the house.
Sister_Someone
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:42 AM

None of your business...

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM

She knows what's right it's her choice let her get pulled over and she will get a ticket then she will learn 

mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Unfortunately in many states breaking the car seat laws isn't something that you can be pulled over for. Like they can't JUST pull you over for that. But if you get pulled over for speeding, and they see that they'll pile it on top with the rest.

So if she's driving the speed limit, her registration is current, and her brake lights work...she won't get pulled over if the kids are sitting in the back seat. Now, if they're jumping around in the back seat, that violates a Click it or Ticket law (if the state HAS it) and she could be pulled over.

It's pretty stupid...  car seat laws and fines need to be a lot more strict, because some parents only follow them because they're laws not because they care about their kid's safety.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

She knows what's right it's her choice let her get pulled over and she will get a ticket then she will learn 

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM

:( sorry to hear about that. 

proudmommy690
by Christa on Jul. 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM
That's sad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)