Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I love the $1 store, I hate the $1 store

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM
  • 65 Replies

On one hand I love the everything's a $1 store and on the other I hate it more than anything.

I love that I can buy cleaning supplies, balloons, greeting cards and more for a mere $1.

However, I find the $1 store beyond depresssing. The nasty smell of off-brand ramen noodles mixed with cheap scented candles, or the sight of generic tampons on a shelf next to bags of Werther's Originals. Perhaps it's the employees. I've often seen happier people in mug shots.

Or the whining kids begging for a cheap toy that will last them about 20 minutes once they exit the store.

Is the sadness worth the fact that I can get a giant gift bag for $1 and it's $3.79 at Walmart??

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:37 PM

I hate the dollar store

bether89
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:56 PM

There are a few things that I like to go to the Dollar Store for every couple of months.  My kids like the glow sticks.

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this
We have a really nice dollar store right up the street. Its clean, teens man the register, always well lit. I love it.
wandep
by Pam on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Our dollar store is nice too.
Beachdeprived
by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Thank you for this post. It made me laugh and wow, sounds just like our dollar store! I always laugh when I see the pregnancy test on the shelf... would you REALLY buy one from there and trust it? LOL And the haircolor...really for a $1... yeah, like I would give that a try!

Honestly I only go in for the greeting cards and occasionally some cleaning supplies.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I dislike all the cheap plastic stuff that just ends up in landfills :(
momkaribg
by Kari on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Ours is always well lit to.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears: We have a really nice dollar store right up the street. Its clean, teens man the register, always well lit. I love it.
mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I don't care for the dollar store, it's depressing, but I do go there for things occasionally. Cheap things like balloons, gift wrap, gift bags, glow sticks. Stuff that doesn't need to last a long time.

mnmo3bb
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I know what you mean, 8 party cups/plates that feel thinner vs 16 for 1.78 at Walmart though is what gets me... I do get flossers at the dollar store though because they have flouride free & stickers for busy bags are nice from there :)

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I get craft supplies for the kid's at the dollar store but that's about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)