Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I now have 2 band kids

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM
  • 74 Replies
This week was the first week of 12 hr band camp for high school. That means Monday through Friday 9 am -9 pm. My daughter will be a junior next year and this is her 4th year. Her preferred instrument is the marimba. She started in 8th grade. Her brother is in 8th this year and plays the trombone but wants to switch. He can also play the guitar, and French horn.

So last week Courtney comes home and says they are desperate for a synth player. As in they were going to let someone do it who couldn't even read music. Cameron has never played piano but he can read bass and treble cleft. So Monday at 11 am my daughter texts me that they want him. I was at work so I called Cameron who ran from our house to the school. He was pretty excited. He completed this week. It was pretty crazy. On day 2 he hit a wall and was really discouraged. We had to remind him that not only did he just get the show music but he also just got the instrument lol. Tonight he is much more positive and he's having a great time. Courtney seems to be enjoying having her brother around at her favorite event.

It's weird and quiet in the house at dinner though and crap Courtney's band fees are about 1300 a year. I just double that :/
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tohru_Lynn89
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:21 PM
My mom knows your pain/joy with the band stuff. My sister started band in 6th grade and was in till graduation (she played clarinet). My baby brother started band when he was in 6th grade and also continued till graduation (he was a percussionist; mostly marimba but he can also play drums and keyboard). My baby brother was in 9th grade when my sister was in 12th. The band takes a trip every year. They go to Chicago 3 years in a row and Disney (in Florida) every 4 years (they went to Disney when my sister was in 11th grade and again when my brother was in 12th). The trips alone are expensive. Then my mom also had to buy reeds for my sisters clarinet every year and drum sticks and a practice drum for my brother (I provided his keyboard when he decided to learn that). It definitely adds up.
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Yeah she started in 6th as well. She's just been in the high school band since 8th. I totally wish I could buy her a marimba but that would be pricey lol. She went to Disney last year. They marched in the night parade. She just got back from a 7 country European tour where she played in 5 of those countries. It's pricey. I have a feeling my youngest will also join the "band" wagon. Hahaha I crack myself up.

Quoting Tohru_Lynn89: My mom knows your pain/joy with the band stuff. My sister started band in 6th grade and was in till graduation (she played clarinet). My baby brother started band when he was in 6th grade and also continued till graduation (he was a percussionist; mostly marimba but he can also play drums and keyboard). My baby brother was in 9th grade when my sister was in 12th. The band takes a trip every year. They go to Chicago 3 years in a row and Disney (in Florida) every 4 years (they went to Disney when my sister was in 11th grade and again when my brother was in 12th). The trips alone are expensive. Then my mom also had to buy reeds for my sisters clarinet every year and drum sticks and a practice drum for my brother (I provided his keyboard when he decided to learn that). It definitely adds up.
Tohru_Lynn89
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:33 PM
My baby brother went to Disney this past school year (he just graduated). My mom could never afford a marimba for my brother either. He was also in sports (cross country, basketball, and track in high school). It all adds up.

Quoting MamaJane: Yeah she started in 6th as well. She's just been in the high school band since 8th. I totally wish I could buy her a marimba but that would be pricey lol. She went to Disney last year. They marched in the night parade. She just got back from a 7 country European tour where she played in 5 of those countries. It's pricey. I have a feeling my youngest will also join the "band" wagon. Hahaha I crack myself up.

Quoting Tohru_Lynn89: My mom knows your pain/joy with the band stuff. My sister started band in 6th grade and was in till graduation (she played clarinet). My baby brother started band when he was in 6th grade and also continued till graduation (he was a percussionist; mostly marimba but he can also play drums and keyboard). My baby brother was in 9th grade when my sister was in 12th. The band takes a trip every year. They go to Chicago 3 years in a row and Disney (in Florida) every 4 years (they went to Disney when my sister was in 11th grade and again when my brother was in 12th). The trips alone are expensive. Then my mom also had to buy reeds for my sisters clarinet every year and drum sticks and a practice drum for my brother (I provided his keyboard when he decided to learn that). It definitely adds up.
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:43 PM
I'm not going to let Cameron do cross country. We are bummed but I had him make the choice before deciding to do this. Cross country practice is daily after school until 5 and band is daily after school twice a week and then one night practice. Plus meets. In jr high meets aren't on Saturday but there could be several a week after school. I believe in committing 100% and if he missing half the practices... So it's sad but he had to choose.

Quoting Tohru_Lynn89: My baby brother went to Disney this past school year (he just graduated). My mom could never afford a marimba for my brother either. He was also in sports (cross country, basketball, and track in high school). It all adds up.

Quoting MamaJane: Yeah she started in 6th as well. She's just been in the high school band since 8th. I totally wish I could buy her a marimba but that would be pricey lol. She went to Disney last year. They marched in the night parade. She just got back from a 7 country European tour where she played in 5 of those countries. It's pricey. I have a feeling my youngest will also join the "band" wagon. Hahaha I crack myself up.

Tohru_Lynn89
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM
My brother had cross country everyday after school and band was 3 days a week later in the evening. My mom occasionally had to get him right after a meet and take him straight to a band competition.

Quoting MamaJane: I'm not going to let Cameron do cross country. We are bummed but I had him make the choice before deciding to do this. Cross country practice is daily after school until 5 and band is daily after school twice a week and then one night practice. Plus meets. In jr high meets aren't on Saturday but there could be several a week after school. I believe in committing 100% and if he missing half the practices... So it's sad but he had to choose.

Quoting Tohru_Lynn89: My baby brother went to Disney this past school year (he just graduated). My mom could never afford a marimba for my brother either. He was also in sports (cross country, basketball, and track in high school). It all adds up.

melliburger
by Melli on Jul. 19, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Very long days for htem and lots of money! My brother just finished drum corps and for him he had to raise about $500! I remember being in band but doing all the fundraisers so that my mum didn't have that much costs.

mizhoward
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 2:22 AM
My daughter is in band and she started camp this past week from 9-4. Next week they are doing full band from 8-8. Glad to know that I am not the only band mom here, lol.
Miss_Metal_Spaz
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 2:32 AM
I would have died if band camp was 12 hrs a day. Ours was from 8 to 5
Whereismymind
by Amanda on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:33 AM
That is a long day,lol ! Is it just one week?
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jul. 19, 2014 at 7:04 AM
It is but they get 45 for lunch and an hour and a half for dinner. They really actually like the 12 hr days. It's 12 just for one week and then next week is 8-5. Last week was 4-8. It's those 3 weeks and then we start school and it goes to just 3 practices a week after school.

Quoting Whereismymind: That is a long day,lol ! Is it just one week?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)