Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Driving with Kiddos

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM
  • 74 Replies

Are any of your kiddos old enough to be driving?  Our 18 year old daughter is learning to drive (there have been some challenges getting her birth certificate, so she wasn't able to get a permit or license earlier), and I've had her out on the oilfield roads a couple of times.  Last night, my poor dog crawled on the floor in the backseat after the first ditch, and didn't come up till we got home! 

What are some tips or tricks that you have used with your children, friends' children, relatives, or that you remember from learning?

by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma-flynn
by Greta on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine isn't old enough to drive on her own but she has sat on she's lap and "driven" his truck at the deer lease.
Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Not yet mine are super little guys still we have a ways to go !!! 

I remember I did a driving school I felt more comfortable and not as nervous with them than my parents teaching me . Dh will most likely teach our boys as he is a amazing driver and has taken evoc courses for his job if not then they will go to a driving school 

proudmommy690
by Christa on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine isn't old enough.
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
No just thinking about it freaks me oUT
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I taught my two boys to drive, but they also took driver's training so we could get a better insurance rate. I looked over their driver's training manual to see what would be covered on the driving test, and had them practice. I tried not to talk too much when they were practice driving. Just gave them a few words if they were forgetting something...like just saying "turn signal" or "complete stop". Afterwards I would praise them on what they did right. I think it helps if different people take them practice driving. We always started in the empty parking lot at the church near us. That way there were marked parking spaces-but no cars were around.  

BeachLifeMama
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
DD isn't old enough to drive.
lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

we live out in the country and I took mine o back roads.

deccaf
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I've got a number if years til that happens. She's only 3, but I remember learning on a stick shift. And parallel parking between old oil barrels.
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I was telling her last night that I wish we owned a stick shift, because I think it's a useful skill to have.  The old barrels is definitely a useful tip!  THanks!

Quoting deccaf: I've got a number if years til that happens. She's only 3, but I remember learning on a stick shift. And parallel parking between old oil barrels.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:07 PM

That's cute :)

Quoting momma-flynn: Mine isn't old enough to drive on her own but she has sat on she's lap and "driven" his truck at the deer lease.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN