Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Think You Have an Accent?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM
  • 123 Replies

Poll

Question: Do You Think You Have an Accent?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

Do you say y'all or you guys? Have you ever heard of a "Roly poly"? Ever been to a "beer barn"? Do you drink cola, pop, or soda? Find out what American accent you have!

by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Western
You have a Western accent - and all of this time you probably thought you didn't have an accent at all! The Western dialect of American English is a single regional dialect that unites the entire western half of the United States, including California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana! The west was the last area in the United States to be settled during the westward expansion of English-speaking people and it's full of linguistic patterns from other regions. Your accent is general enough that no one knows exactly where you're from. Your accent is perfect for public speaking, news broadcasting, acting, advertisements, etc.!
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
It said Northeastern

I'm from Philadelphia so I already knew I had a accent. I live in in Midwest now and people are always asking me where I'm from.
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
If I answer how I grew up I get Midwest, if I answer now I get Western.

In reality I'm a mix of the 2.
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

It says new england

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I live in Oregon

Quoting TigerofMu:

Western
You have a Western accent - and all of this time you probably thought you didn't have an accent at all! The Western dialect of American English is a single regional dialect that unites the entire western half of the United States, including California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana! The west was the last area in the United States to be settled during the westward expansion of English-speaking people and it's full of linguistic patterns from other regions. Your accent is general enough that no one knows exactly where you're from. Your accent is perfect for public speaking, news broadcasting, acting, advertisements, etc.!

SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

hahaha, I KNOW I have an accent

kirstensmommie
by Joy on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I was born and raised in Kentucky, so I would say yes I do.
SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Just as I thought heh

Southern
You have a southern accent! You're shocked that people think "pin" and "pen" are pronounced differently, and you find it bizarre that people actually call coke "pop"! And of course, your day isn't complete without saying "ya'll"! The Southern dialects make up the largest accent group in the United States! You might be made fun of if you ever head up north, but pay no attention and take pride in your warm, charming accent!
CurlersNHeels
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

"You have the Midland accent! Sometimes just called "Midwestern" but distinct from your friends up north who have the "North Central" or "Upper Midwest" accent. "

Which is a little funny considering that I'm from TEXAS. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)