Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old is old enough to stay alone?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM
  • 32 Replies

How old do you think?

When a child can stay home alone?

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM

For less than 2 hours, 10yrs old, depending on the kid.

NeonGirl9583
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM
I say 15 lol I live in the woods and people steals stuff out of the sheds. I'm scared to be home alone.
jcm28
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:20 AM
13 and I started ten min to 20 mins at a time then of coarse went up in time.
Beachdeprived
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think there is a set age per say. I think it depends upon the individual child and the situation.  We started letting my DD stay home alone last summer when she was 12 BUT she was only alone for maybe 10 days out of the summer... and I work literally 10 minutes from the house and could fly home at a moment's notice. If I checked the radar and a storm was coming, I could go home and my boss would not care. We also live on a rather tight knit cul-de-sac with several SAMHs who knew she was home and would keep an eye out for us. Also, they could run over there and she could run to them if anything came up. She is now 13 and I feel better this summer than last for sure.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

To me it depends on the maturity of the child, where you live and how long you will be gone. I let my 11 year old stay home occasionally up to about 1 1/2 hours. I usually call once while we are gone. My 8 year old can stay with him if we will be gone for less that 20 minutes. I trust them both to behave and they know what to do in an emergancy

aidensmomma508
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM

12 maybe

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM

my daughter will be 11 next month & i still don't like to leave her alone.  she's not very responsible.  i've left both of them before a few months ago for about 1/2hr, didn't like it but had no choice in the matter.  my husband had taken our son's booster seat out of my car the previous day when he took him to a motorcycle show. he forgot to move it back before he went to work so i had to run to his work & get the booster seat. 

powow65
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM
My mil started leaving her younger son at home alone for a hour at 11 years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Angela on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Depends. I'd be ok with leaving my 6 year old home alone before I would my 7 year old...he's more mature.

Not saying I'd leave him alone at 6...but I know he'll be ready before his big brother, lol.

lil_mama06
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Valerie was 10 years old when she'd stay home alone...I was gone 20 minutes...It depends on the child.... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)