Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you keep your new baby's name a secret?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM
  • 84 Replies

Or did you tell prior to the birth? Did you get any grief from it?

We kept our baby's name a secret until after he was born.  

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM

not intentionally.  we didn't find out the gender for either child so we had to come up with two names.  with the first pregnancy we didn't decide on either name till about 3 days before i delivered.  with the second we decided on a girls name a day before i delivered but didn't have a boys name picked out.  so of course i had a boy.  poor little guy didn't have a name till he was 36hrs old.

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM

No we didn't have a name until 3 days after she was born. 

mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

We told people. Since I don't pick crappy names for my kids we didn't get any grief. My MIL asked some STUPID questions, but she does that anyway. We considered Charlotte for my youngest (didn't use it in the end though) and she asked how it would be spelled...there is only 1 way to spell Charlotte. She thought spelling it Sharlot would be "fun." No lady, you're an idiot, I want my kid to have bigger career aspirations than Walmart Greeter, so they have names that are spelled correctly and work for adults.

On this subject the US totally needs laws like other countries, that bar parents from giving their kids horrible names.

deccaf
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Not really, but we hadn't settled 100%, so we didn't even know what her name really was.  Since she was born 4 weeks early, and the name was still up in the air, I asked DH if he was good with the one we had landed on last.  It was Stephanie (after my stepdad).  So Stephanie she is and the name suits her perfectly.

XOXOnBubbles
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM

We didn't choose a name for any of our kids until after they were born.  We went to the hospital with a list of a few different names that we both liked and picked a name after we were able to see our baby.  

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM

No, we didnt keep any of their names a secret

momkaribg
by Kari on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:51 AM
We told people.
Beachdeprived
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM

We didn't know what "it" was to begin with and I just had a feeling it would be a boy so we didn't hve any girl names picked out... So when DD was born, we couldn't decide on a name for many hours... so yup, it was a secret...to us and everyone else. And if I had additional children, I would have done the exact same thing! Best surprise of our lives!!!

trayseehalf
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Yes. We also didn't find out the sex of our baby until we had him

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM

we only kept baby's name a secret, dd3, since we were unsure until about a week before she was born!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)