Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Life

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM
  • 12 Replies

DH is considering the Navy or Air Force....he has his Bachelors in Accounting and was to start grad school this fall. The military will pay for grad school they said. He has to lose about 15lbs (he is 205 at 5'10.5" but they round down to 5'10" so he has to be 190-191). He likes that we will get free healthcare, housing allowance.

Any advice, tips, etc?

I grew up military (Army) but we didn't live on base anywhere. The one year we moved 2x and then again since my parents split.

Thanks for any advice! 

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:17 PM

bump

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Sounds like financially it makes sense to do it 

mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:54 PM

How many kids do you all have?

With the military downsizing currently it's very hard to enlist with too many dependents. You should check out the Military Families group on here. http://www.cafemom.com/group/107984

My DH was a recruiter for a few years and even back then when there was a big push for enlistment getting a person with too many dependents in was a bitch.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Quoting mom2jessnky:

With the military downsizing currently it's very hard to enlist with too many dependents. You should check out the Military Families group on here. http://www.cafemom.com/group/107984

My DH was a recruiter for a few years and even back then when there was a big push for enlistment getting a person with too many dependents in was a bitch.

we have 3.

they didnt say it would be a problem when he talked to them, just they are on overload and wouldnt be able to get him in until next summer.

he is either doing this, or going to work for his mom's boss (CPA). 

but convieniently, dh talked to his mom about the Navy yesterday, and today magically they may take him on.....makes me go hmmmm 

lol!

mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Has he talked a recruiter? Getting a waiver for 4 dependents is not easy, I don't think anything will change by next year. It's hard to stay in the service, nevermind getting in.

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

we have 3.

they didnt say it would be a problem when he talked to them, just they are on overload and wouldnt be able to get him in until next summer.

but convieniently, dh talked to his mom about the Navy yesterday, and today magically they may take him on.....makes me go hmmmm 

lol!

wandep
Please join my group Cleaning the Flylady Way. We'd love to have you! :)
Yesterday at 3:42 PM
by Pam on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Don't know but good luck! 

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM

yea he went to one yesterday, ty for info!

Quoting mom2jessnky: Has he talked a recruiter? Getting a waiver for 4 dependents is not easy, I don't think anything will change by next year. It's hard to stay in the service, nevermind getting in.
Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

we have 3.

lol!

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

air forces have the nicest bases.

TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:57 PM

We arent military...wish I could be more helpful!

proudmommy690
by Christa on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)