Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

going on strike: would you do it?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM
  • 52 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was a SAHM for 15 yrs before stepping back into the work force this spring.  The family (DH and 3 teens) agreed to help with housework, cooking meals, etc.  I work 7 days a week, 8 to 10 hours a day.

I make meal plans to make dinner cooking easier. I do a lot of crock pot meals.  I try to start laundry before leaving for work.  I have numerous other little chores that I do, such as caring for chickens and horses before and after work.  Oh, and I have a large garden.  The family helped for a while, but now they're ignoring it.  I didn't get home until 9:30 last night, and had made a crock pot meal.  DH said he'd done the dishes, and I didn't find out until this morning that he DIDN'T include any of the pots/pans/crockpots.  I needed a crockpot to make dinner for tonight  : (  Then I discovered piles of clean laundry, unfolded and still in baskets....and the cats had urinated on them.  I hate the cats for that, but that's another story.  The point is that if the laundry had been folded and put away, it wouldn't have happened.  The living room is trashed, I can't even find the dining table under the misc. papers and other crap.  All of this in just a couple of days.

So....am I a poor housekeeper?  I desperately want to go on strike, take care of only MY meals and MY clothes, and tell them all they're on their own.  WWYD?

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkcoffeecup
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Go on strike. Tell  them your not cooking or nothing.  Not till they help out more.

happynewyorker
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I'd be telling everyone that I'll be going on strike.  Doing my own clothes, meals and caring for the cats. 

It's not that you're married to your house.  But, given the fat that everyone seemed to help out and then figured since it's summer time, they don't have to do anything is wrong.  I bet you'd like to be home and relaxing and doing nothing.

Don't tell them. Just do!!  Enjoy your strike.  I'll back you up 100%%

momkaribg
by Kari on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:12 PM
I would 100% go on strike,
alf2651
by Amanda on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:34 PM
BeachLifeMama
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM
I would.
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I would!!  at least for several days until they notice

jhelmke
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I would set hubby down and discuss again what he needs to do now you are back to work. I would than as family discuss with kids their chores. Put in in writing and everyone signs for teens. Let them know if they do not follow through what they will be on their own doing. I done this with my hubby and teen. I am last one home allot. 

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM

i have two kids under 10 & have gone on strike several times before.  things do change, somethings only for a bit, others have been more permanant.  i don't expect too much of my kids, yet, but there is no reason my husband can't do more around the home.  i work just as much as he does, if not more. 

you have 4 perfectly capable beings to help out with THEIR home.  they don't like you going on strike, putting your foot down, whatever they can either start helping out or go without home cooked meals, clean clothes, etc.

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:45 PM

do it, they'll appreciate you for sure.

TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:03 PM

That would piss me off if I worked!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN