Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cooking with kids

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM
  • 14 Replies

Dgd wanted to learn how to make potato soup. I don't normally use a recipe for this, but we figured out the approximate measurements. It was really good.

Potato Soup

4 strips bacon

1 small onion, diced

2 ribs celery, diced (also cut up celery leaves, setting aside for garnish)

2-3 potatoes, diced

2 cups chicken broth

2 cups heavy cream, half & half or milk

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese-set aside a little for garnish

Cook bacon in large pot until crisp. Remove and set aside on paper towels. Pour bacon fat into a container for another us, leaving about 2 tablespoons in pot. Saute onions and celery. Place diced potatoes in pot and cook while stirring another 2-3 minutes. Add chicken broth, just enough to cover potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until really tender and falling apart. Optional-(Use a hand held immersion blender or use potato masher to smooth out the mixture. I like it a bit smooth, but with some potato chunks left) Add heavy cream, half & half or milk, depending on how rich you like it.

Dice bacon-setting aside a little for garnish. Add cheese and bacon and continue cooking over low heat, just until cheese is melted. Serve garnished with bacon, shredded cheese and celery leaves.

Notes: you can use butter instead of bacon fat if you prefer. Ham is also good to use instead of bacon for flavor.

What have you made with your kids?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lil_mama06
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:33 AM

We make potato soup...My husband and I taught our girls to cook...My 7 year old can make some mean eggs and pb &j....She also likes to stir the meat when we have tacos and she likes to chop things in my chopper for me...(I take out and put in the blades) 

suziejax
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:51 AM

O my yum! Thanks for posting.

We have cooked a lot of things together to many to mention really. Now my teen girl is a better cook than me almost. 

DACIA79
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM
I love Potato soup.
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM

They help me bake a lot and lmy older daughter likes to help with dinner. I made my son help make burritos before and at different times they will all be in the kitchen learning to cook

kmqw229
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
childofgod04
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Yum! DS is only 2 so I haven't had him help me yet. He has watched me bake and cook though.

newwifenmom
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Too many things, DS helps me cook daily.
AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Yum!
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Mmmm I love that soup!
alf2651
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:14 AM

We make a lot of baked goods. Though she does help me cook breakfast and she helps me bread things when I cook.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)