Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

have you found this to be true?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM
  • 39 Replies

when we were in ohio i heard from my sisters, my nieces, sil & friends that typically 12-18months after a girl starts her period she stops growing.   i'd never heard that before but i thought about myself & that was pretty much true for me.  i got my period right around turning 12 & stopped growing when i was 13. 

the kids pedi said that seems to be the case with many girls but of course there are always exceptions. 

i was wondering if this was the case for you mamas & your older girls?  my daughter was so unhappy when she heard that.  she started her period last november so it's been almost a year.  we just went for her yearly check up & she is 59", just shy of 5ft.  if the 12-18m "rule" is true for most & she's at the 8month mark now she may not be getting much over 5ft, if she's lucky.

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Uhhh....no.  LOL  I was 11 when I got my period.  And about 8 inches shorter than I am now.  Pretty sure I didn't grow 8 inches in 12-18 months. :)

aidensmomma508
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM

It wasn't the case for me

mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Not true for me. I got my period when I was 14, and I definitely had a growth spurt at 17.

lasombrs
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:57 PM

no idea. i was pretty young when i got mine but no idea when i stoped growing. nothing i ever really paid much attention to but i am only 5'2

MommyOfOne2710
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Not true for me, either. I grew a couple inches over the years.
louannwilkins
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I'm pretty sure I grew a few inches over the years.  I started at 11.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:35 PM

i didn't either till everyone was talking about it & i thought back.

Quoting lasombrs:

no idea. i was pretty young when i got mine but no idea when i stoped growing. nothing i ever really paid much attention to but i am only 5'2

MrsApple
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I got my first period in second grade (when I was 8) and didn't stop growing until about 5th grade.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:38 PM

yikes!  i can't imagine starting that young.  was it rough for you?

Quoting MrsApple:

I got my first period in second grade (when I was 8) and didn't stop growing until about 5th grade.

MrsApple
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:42 PM

It sucked :( It was emotionally rough,that's for sure.My daughter is about to turn 8 and I dread her having to go through it so early.I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she gets off lucky and has a few more years.

Quoting lizzig:

yikes!  i can't imagine starting that young.  was it rough for you?

Quoting MrsApple:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)