Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if you own a dog....or if you do not....

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:20 PM
  • 76 Replies

Do you think as the owner it is your responsibility to keep *your* dog on *your* property? Keep it leashed on walks and fenced in on *your* property?

Or if you have people next to you who do not own dogs or any pets, do you think they need to put up a fence to keep *your* dog out?

Those who do not own dogs, do you have people next door whose dogs always come on your side and use it as a bathroom? Or just to come up and bark at you as if they own the place?

Have you ever had to report the owners to keep their own dogs on their own property?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Yes I believe that the dogs need to stay within their boundaries and should be trained as such.  The roaming dogs usually have no training and the owners allow them to ruin others' property.

Have you talked to the owners about their dogs trespassing?

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I own a dog and yes all of that is my responsibility. Also if my dog is out in the yard and starts barking I make him come in right a way so he doesn't annoy the neighbors.

My neighbor has a dog that roams around, but he is the most laid back dog I have ever met, so he doesn't really bother us. I worry more that he might get hit by a car, even though we live on a very quiet cul-de-sac.

mamacalifornia
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM

It is my responsibility to keep my dogs in my yard! That bring said dogs are tricksters & find strange ways of getting out! 

I hate when dogs are just left out to roam or left barking continuously!

My labs broke a board on my 7ft fence last week and a lady was walking her chiuaia and my dogs wanted to play with the dog. My yellow lab scratched the lady and the dog they were both okay, but now the dog has bump where the scratch is so I am going to the vet in a bit with the lady and if the bump was caused by the scratch I am paying for visit if not she is. That is my responsibility and I gladly will pay, they are my dogs! The lady is awesome and isn't trying to get anything more then the bill payed she knew my dogs don't get out and are very friendly!

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:50 PM

It's my responsbility to keep my dog in my yard. If our dog were to go in the neighbor's yard, they would let us know.....lol. They are very picky!

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I do the same when the dog starts barking.

Quoting ceciliam:

I own a dog and yes all of that is my responsibility. Also if my dog is out in the yard and starts barking I make him come in right a way so he doesn't annoy the neighbors.

My neighbor has a dog that roams around, but he is the most laid back dog I have ever met, so he doesn't really bother us. I worry more that he might get hit by a car, even though we live on a very quiet cul-de-sac.

cali_gurl
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Owners are responsible for their own pets. I own a dog and do not let it run around the neighborhood off leash.

momager2two
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM
My dog, my responsibility. With that said, i live in a townhouse with no fenced area. I must walk my dog on a leash at all times (this is not just courtesy, it is a florida law). My dog poops in the yard. I clean it up. Again, picking up after your dog is also a law here. My dog is not animal friendly. It is incredibly annoying when a dog is out without a leash on. It puts me, my dog and the other dog in danger. My dog has bitten a puppy before because the owner felt the puppy didnt need to be on a leash and came running at my dog. My dog got protective immediately. Luckily there was no damage to the other dog, but even if there were in that situation i would not have paid. My dog did nothing wrong.
Mznaye
by Jo on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM
No dogs here. The neighbor's dog go in their yard
ame19
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM

We live out in the country and our bigger dogs are in pens. We have a dog who is half german shep and great pyreneese and his name is Tank. He is really playful and likes to jump. So he only gets to go out when the little ones that are scared of him are inside because of his size. The littler dogs or the ones that listen the best are inside and are able to free roam. They know how far they can go up the gravel road. We only have 1 neighbor and they also have 2 dogs that free roam. If we lived in town or a city it would definitely be a different story. Dogs would have to be on leashes.

michiganmom116
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM

It is MY responsibility to control my dogs. 

We live in the country on 10 acres.  We have 3 dogs that are usually in the fenced in back yard.  If another dog comes onto our property or our dogs leave the property, they face serious risks.  Thankfully we have decent neighbors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN