Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you save...

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:00 PM
  • 36 Replies

bacon grease? If so, what do you use it for? Here in the south, we have used it for years to season bland foods, but now I mainly use it for corn bread.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicken13
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I cook with it.  

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM

i don't make bacon at home.  much to the dismay of my bacon addict daughter.  even if i did though i don't think i'd save the grease for anything.  as a vegetarian i'd really be limiting myself if i used it for such things as cornbread.

elasmimi
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM

What kind of foods?

Quoting chicken13:

I cook with it.  

Mznaye
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:06 PM
I don't cook bacon but I have seen my mom do that to cook fresh green beans! Yum o
chicken13
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Most of the time...I use it for eggs in the morning.  But cornbread or pancakes taste great with it too.

Quoting elasmimi:

What kind of foods?

Quoting chicken13:

I cook with it.  

elasmimi
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Never tried it with pancakes.

Quoting chicken13:

Most of the time...I use it for eggs in the morning.  But cornbread or pancakes taste great with it too.

Quoting elasmimi:

What kind of foods?

Quoting chicken13:

I cook with it.  

SweetLuci
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I used to cook a lot of bacon, and used the bacon fat in lots of things. Great for using to cook fried porkchops, fried potatoes, sauteed onions, sauteed summer squash or zucchini, added to any kind of vegetables, but especially green beans or dried beans like limas or pintos, or in refried beans. Also good to cook pancakes or eggs. Now I don't often cook bacon, so use it mainly in cornbread or fried potatoes.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Nope 

taKENheart
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I have saved it.  I season my cast iron skillets with it.  A little of it tastes good in cornbread.  If I want to make white gravy but I'm not cooking any bacon I'll use my stash. 
If I want to fry an egg and the little bacon I cooked didn't render enough grease then I'll use some from my stash.

I think that's about it. 

exhaustedmother
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I don't but my husband will. He says it provides the flavor he needs when he cooks-he always has a cup of leftover grease sitting in our fridge. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)