Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question: How much to charge for babysitting my baby nephew?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

I offered to babysit my baby nephew in my home for 3 days a week to make a little extra money.  I'm not quite sure how much to charge or how to set up a pay scale ... do it by the day?  (it's from 7 am til 4) ?  I also want to take into account it's FAMILY so obviously I will give him a very fair rate.  Thanks!

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I used to babysit for my neighbor for 1 kid and charged $60/week

Angela4boys
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM
Rates really vary regionally. I know people that make $10 an hour, and I know someone that makes $100 a week (and it comes out to about $2 an hour)
fairybaby55
by Sara on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Ok thanks.  I was thinking of charging 25$ a day so hopefully that's about right.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Check around, call some places and see what the charge would be, and then you can adjust.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:19 PM
I agree with Luci, I would call local daycares or maybe look at ads on Craigslist. Often the charge is much more for infants because they require more care. Will they be providing diapers and food? Maybe take stuff like that into account, even as you're adjusting your fee to the "family rate". :-) I'm sure they appreciate that he can be with you, it's very kind of you to take that on.
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I think if he is a baby, you would want to specify who will be supplying the diapers, formula etc.  Since they are family I would say $100 for the 3 days. 

fairybaby55
by Sara on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Yes they will provide the food/diapers.  :)

Whereismymind
by Amanda on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM
This is average here, my SIL asked me to watch her son and offered me $20..... She provided food for him though.

Quoting fairybaby55:

Ok thanks.  I was thinking of charging 25$ a day so hopefully that's about right.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:10 PM

That's a great price!

Quoting fairybaby55:

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:11 PM

This is what I charged for my nephew.

Quoting fairybaby55:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)