Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

worst trip ever!!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM
  • 34 Replies

we went to 6 flags over georgia yesterday & it was the worst trip to an amusement park i've ever had!  growing up in ohio i lived near geauga lake & we'd go there often in the summer (not a huge park but fun & cheaper than the bigger parks).  we also went to cedar point & kings island often.  plus i've been to other parks in other states.  all great parks & fun times.  can't say the same for 6 flags here in georgia.

first just parking was insane.  we had to drive about 1/4 way around the park after we pulled into the drive just to get to the parking lot.  all other amusement parks i've been to you pull in right into the parking lot so your not sitting in a traffic jam on a road for 20mins!  thankfully we purchased our tickets online ahead of time because while they had a plethera of ticket windows only a few were open so the lines were long.  same for the main entrance gate, not all lines were open.  that should have clued us in to what we were in store for in the park.

first the rides.  many of the roller coasters only had one car going so the wait times were insane!  i felt bad because this was the kids first trip to an amusement park & my daughter really wanted to ride all the coasters but when you're waiting in line for 90min+ to ride one you can't get many in during your visit.  not to mention that a few closed down for a bit during the day.  i know lines can be long at parks, especially for coasters, but the 90min+ wait times are generally for the newer, faster coasters, not the old plain wooden ones.  my son had a fun time, for a bit, because since there wasn't much in the way of lines in the kiddie section he got to ride the most of all of us.  (he got bit by ants on one ride & after that he was pretty much done for the day.  he's allergic & i had to give him some benedryl which quickly made him tired)

then there was the food.  we passed by so many food stands/carts that weren't open.  some were never opened some only for a brief period because they were running out of things.  like one stand that sold frozen lemonade, pretzels & popcorn only had bottled pops & this was about 1:30ish & the park opened at 10:30.  how they heck do you run out of most of what you sell in 3hrs?! 

waiting in lines i talked to so many people & heard often this was the worst trip to 6 flags they've ever had.  one lady lived in alabama on the ga boarder & brings her kids every year.  she said this was the worst trip to the park they've ever had.  i met a father & son who spend their summers visiting amusement parks.  the father said this was the worst park he's ever been to.

oh, we had planned this trip before the kids & i went to ohio & didn't knew my mom was coming back with us.  my husband didn't want her sitting around the house all day by herself so he insisted she come with us, even though there was very little that she could do.  she felt bad about wasting the money on a ticket (6 flags doesn't do discounted non rider tickets like some parks do) but figured she could at least watch some of the shows while we were waiting in lines.  good idea except non of the shows we going on yesterday!  not even the warner brothers character show for the kids.  no reason why just "no show today" signs posted outside the theaters. 

not sure if it was just an off day for them or if this was standard.  hubby & i really have no desire to go back & find out though.  i told my kids i'd rather take them to kings island or cedar point before i take them back to 6 flags.  my husband isn't one for crowds nor heights & swears he won't be going to any amusement park again.  this was his first visit to an amusement park also.  he's been to lots of carnivals/festivals but no big amusement park & this visit ruined future visits for him.

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM

That's so weird. You'd think that in the Summer (peak season) they'd be at full staff, running things at capacity...

Sorry you had a bad time, I never went to 6 Flags when we lived in GA, my kids were too little and I'm not a roller coaster fan.

lil_mama06
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM

That sucks...We've never been to 6 flags...

momkaribg
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:27 AM
That's awful.
lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM

that's pretty bad. I'm sorry it was no fun for you or the kids. Maybe try another one

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM

That would be very frustrating

LifeCafe42
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Ugh no fun I'm sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM
That stinks. I went to that park once but it's been...16 years. The Six Flags in MD isn't great either. Or, it wasn't. We haven't been back in a few years so maybe it's better now.
Hannahsmommy816
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:20 PM

oh man :(

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Oh boo :  (

Mygirl30248
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Yikes! Thats pretty bad. The waiting in the lines is down right horrible on kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)