Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OH the allergies!~

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM
  • 22 Replies

My boxer is 2.  She has horrible allergies.  They make her itch like crazy!  So she will go to the vet tomorrow for a cortisone shot.  Poor puppy!

Do your dogs have ongoing medical issues?

Visit Investors!

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lil_mama06
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM

None here...

LifeCafe42
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:24 AM
Nope thank goodness he's a bit of a gimp but it's not his hips
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momkaribg
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:25 AM
We don't have animals. Hope your doggie feels better soon.
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:27 AM

That sucks. Our big dog had really bad allergies. we had to put her on special food and have medication for her when she would get ahold of something that she shouldn't. She then had other issues with an infection and other things. we finally had to put her down a few months ago. She was almost 12 though

deccaf
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM

My 14 year old has food allergies.  This one has environmental allergies.  Why do I always get the dogs that need expensive stuff?  Expensive food ($40 per bag), expensive shots, expensive ER vet visits (the two year old is highly allergic to bees, but likes to eat them!)

Quoting othermom:

That sucks. Our big dog had really bad allergies. we had to put her on special food and have medication for her when she would get ahold of something that she shouldn't. She then had other issues with an infection and other things. we finally had to put her down a few months ago. She was almost 12 though

Visit Investors!

deccaf
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM

She will in about a day after the shot.  At least I can combine this visit with her vaccine updates!

Quoting momkaribg: We don't have animals. Hope your doggie feels better soon.

Visit Investors!

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Yeah our big dogs food was about $35 a bag and would last about 3 weeks. As long as she didn't eat anything else she would be fine and would only need her other medication occasionally, she would chewher fur off her butt because of the itching. Then her other issues started with a growth in her teat after a utreine infection that took 2 rounds of antibiotics to treat. Then the growth got bigger and went through two more rounds of antibiotics which didn't help but it eventually went down, the third time we just let it go till it started to bother her and we made the hard decision to put her down since we didn't want to keep giving her meds that didn'twork.

That is scary and a little silly about your younger dog. You would think after a bad reaction the dog would stop messing with the bees, but I guess not. Dogs amaze me sometimes

Quoting deccaf:

My 14 year old has food allergies.  This one has environmental allergies.  Why do I always get the dogs that need expensive stuff?  Expensive food ($40 per bag), expensive shots, expensive ER vet visits (the two year old is highly allergic to bees, but likes to eat them!)

Quoting othermom:

deccaf
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I have to getthe food every week or so because I have 3 dogs eating it!  I don't get any other brand in case the old dog wants to "share".  She has had surgeries to remove growths on her front legs, and has to go on estrogen every now and then to control bladder leakage.  She is also very prone to ear infections.  Lots of vet visits for my old dog!

The 2 year old has an epi pen in case we can't get to the emergency vet quickly.  It's only a couple blocks away, but the last time she ate one was Halloween and we had a hard time getting out of the driveway and safely down the road!

When I had to put my 15 year old chihuahua down, it was the hardest decision I ever made.  I just couldn't make her suffer any longer!  She had seizures, was in heart failure, controlled by meds, had water on her lungs, just all kinds of issues.  I couldn't make her live a life where all she did was take medicine and sleep.  She had a really bad seizure one night, and we made the decision to take her in the following day to have her put down.  I am almost in tears here and it's been 2 1/2 years!

Quoting othermom:

Yeah our big dogs food was about $35 a bag and would last about 3 weeks. As long as she didn't eat anything else she would be fine and would only need her other medication occasionally, she would chewher fur off her butt because of the itching. Then her other issues started with a growth in her teat after a utreine infection that took 2 rounds of antibiotics to treat. Then the growth got bigger and went through two more rounds of antibiotics which didn't help but it eventually went down, the third time we just let it go till it started to bother her and we made the hard decision to put her down since we didn't want to keep giving her meds that didn'twork.

That is scary and a little silly about your younger dog. You would think after a bad reaction the dog would stop messing with the bees, but I guess not. Dogs amaze me sometimes

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting othermom:

Visit Investors!

Bresmom13
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I owned a Boxer, great (hyper) breed. She was diagnosed with lymphoma at around 8 yrs old. It is a known medical condition for Boxers.

deccaf
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Mobile Photo

I hate that pure breeds have so many health issues. And, since she is white, she has a risk for even more issues. I usually rescue and adopt, so pure breed is not an issue. Here is a pic of my 3...

Quoting Bresmom13:

I owned a Boxer, great (hyper) breed. She was diagnosed with lymphoma at around 8 yrs old. It is a known medical condition for Boxers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)