Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was she right to warn passengers?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM
  • 43 Replies

Poll

Question: Was the flight attendant right or wrong in giving the warning?

Options:

Right

Wrong

Other-please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

Flight Attendant Warns Travelers To Flush Their Drugs Before Landing

AP  | By By ROD McGUIRK
Posted: 07/29/2014 10:22 pm EDT Updated: 2 hours ago
Print Article
AIRPLANE LAVATORY
An airplane toilet, but not one in a Jetstar aircraft. | Stuart Dee via Getty Images

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - An Australian airline apologized on Wednesday for a warning a flight attendant gave passengers who might have been flying high that there were drug-sniffer dogs awaiting them at Sydney airport.

Many of the 210 passengers aboard the Jetstar flight from Gold Coast city on Sunday night had attended the Splendour in the Grass weekend music festival at Byron Bay and were returning home.

"We have been told there are sniffer dogs and quarantine officers waiting in the domestic terminal," Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper on Wednesday quoted the attendant as telling passengers via the Airbus A320's public address system.

"If you need to dispose of anything you shouldn't have, we suggest you flush it now," he added.

The newspaper said the warning prompted passengers to rush for the toilets.

Jetstar spokesman Stephen Moynihan confirmed the newspaper report was accurate. He said the public response to the announcement had been "mixed."

The airline said it routinely makes quarantine announcements on such flights that cross state borders.

"The crew member's words were poorly chosen and are plainly at odds with the professional standards we'd expect from our team," Jetstar said in a statement. "We apologize to customers offended by the comments."

Jetstar said it was "addressing the matter with the cabin crew member involved," but did not detail any potential disciplinary action.

One passenger told the newspaper several passengers suddenly made for the toilets with "things clenched in their hands."

"Why would you tip people off about this?" the passenger, who was not named, asked." If they have got something illegal, let them get caught."

But the response on Jetstar's Facebook page was largely positive.

"What a good Samaritan, Jetstar Australia this guy deserves a promotion," Rohit Dwivedi posted.

"Of course you should warn your passengers to help avoid them being humiliated, locked in a cage or fined," Jebediah Cole posted.

Australian Federal Police declined on Wednesday to comment.

Visit Investors!

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I think she was wrong.  People travelling with illegal items know what those items are and that they should not have them.  Hence the rush on the restrooms.  Let the officials do their jobs, the flight attendant has no business making their jobs harder.

Hannahsmommy816
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM

hmmm yea this is wrong

VinVanMom
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
That's great customer service! I'd tip that attendant. It's called protecting your customer base. Love it. If someone has a small stash on a plane it's for personal use. NMB.
cemcnair
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM
I agree. Maybe be more discrete next time though! Lol!

Quoting VinVanMom: That's great customer service! I'd tip that attendant. It's called protecting your customer base. Love it. If someone has a small stash on a plane it's for personal use. NMB.
VinVanMom
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Seriously. It was prob weed. Bet the people thru helped will be loyal customers for life. Let the drug guys catch kilos of coke or meth..

Quoting cemcnair: I agree. Maybe be more discrete next time though! Lol!

Quoting VinVanMom: That's great customer service! I'd tip that attendant. It's called protecting your customer base. Love it. If someone has a small stash on a plane it's for personal use. NMB.
deccaf
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Even if it was weed, which most view as harmless, it is still illegal, therefore, they are breaking the law.  I am of the opinion that if you don't like the law, you work to change it, you don't break it.

Quoting VinVanMom: Seriously. It was prob weed. Bet the people thru helped will be loyal customers for life. Let the drug guys catch kilos of coke or meth..

Visit Investors!

VinVanMom
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Laws are being changed daily :) really it's a personal choice. I'm sure everyone breaks a law at some point. Driving too slow or fast etc. They aren't hurting anyone. This is being exaggerated. People don't hide it in front pockets and reach in to take it out walking down corridors of a plane. That's a lie I'm sure. Mine was always in my bra. Lol they got lucky. Risk they were willing to take. Some prob keestered it.

Quoting deccaf:

Even if it was weed, which most view as harmless, it is still illegal, therefore, they are breaking the law.  I am of the opinion that if you don't like the law, you work to change it, you don't break it.

Quoting VinVanMom: Seriously. It was prob weed. Bet the people thru helped will be loyal customers for life. Let the drug guys catch kilos of coke or meth..

deccaf
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I know people break laws every day.  I work very hard to stay legal in everything I do.  I don't speed, I don't run red lights, I follow all laws as I know them.  I have made mistakes, and if I get in trouble for that, ok, I'll take the punishment.  If you feel the need to hide something, it is probably wrong. 

As for laws changing daily, yes and no.  Laws are passed and are generally announced a couple times a year when they go into effect.  So until a law is changed regarding legalizing any substance, that substance is illegal.  Period.  I am pretty black and white when it comes to breaking the law.

Quoting VinVanMom: Laws are being changed daily :) really it's a personal choice. I'm sure everyone breaks a law at some point. Driving too slow or fast etc. They aren't hurting anyone. This is being exaggerated. People don't hide it in front pockets and reach in to take it out walking down corridors of a plane. That's a lie I'm sure. Mine was always in my bra. Lol they got lucky. Risk they were willing to take. Some prob keestered it.
Quoting deccaf:

Visit Investors!

VinVanMom
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:11 PM
Wrong in your opinion. Not mine. I'm legal. It wasn't always so but we've been blessed. Soon it will be legal and decriminalized. Regulated by the states. We can agree to disagree. I'm glad they weren't caught. :) police officers here want small amounts decriminalized. They usually shake the bag out and send you on your way. Waste of their time when we have meth to deal with.

Quoting deccaf:

I know people break laws every day.  I work very hard to stay legal in everything I do.  I don't speed, I don't run red lights, I follow all laws as I know them.  I have made mistakes, and if I get in trouble for that, ok, I'll take the punishment.  If you feel the need to hide something, it is probably wrong. 

As for laws changing daily, yes and no.  Laws are passed and are generally announced a couple times a year when they go into effect.  So until a law is changed regarding legalizing any substance, that substance is illegal.  Period.  I am pretty black and white when it comes to breaking the law.

Quoting VinVanMom: Laws are being changed daily :) really it's a personal choice. I'm sure everyone breaks a law at some point. Driving too slow or fast etc. They aren't hurting anyone. This is being exaggerated. People don't hide it in front pockets and reach in to take it out walking down corridors of a plane. That's a lie I'm sure. Mine was always in my bra. Lol they got lucky. Risk they were willing to take. Some prob keestered it.
Quoting deccaf:

nngmommy83
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:23 PM
I think right
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)